Adding sugar to stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcto

Reaction score
Hey, long time no post/brew. Been busy with other projects!
Im allmost ready to bottle a kit brewed stout (Irish Velvet Stout).
However ive hit a snag. The instructions on the back of the can dont mention anything about adding a spoon of sugar to each bottle before capping. However the instructions that were in pamphlet form under the can lid cover say to add a tea spoon of sugar per bottle of BEER. Is this pamphlet in error?
Is it maybe a standard pamphlet they ship with all their products as it refers to the stout as a beer?
I thought adding sugar at this stage would cause carbonation of the stout.
Anyway: its easy to tell this is my first stout! :ban:

Thanks in advance!

probably a standard pamphlet - however, if you're bottling, don't you want carbonation?

Instead of the tedious sugar addition per bottle, we usually use 4 oz sugar to a cup of boiling water, mix thoroughly, cool slightly and add to the bottom of your sanitized bottling bucket. Then siphon in the wort, let it swirl gently to mix thoroughly, and then bottle. This way you get even distribution of the tiny amount of sugar required to induce carbonation.

(118 grams sugar to 19 liters of beer )

All the stouts that I had are carbonated, albeit to a lower level than, say, a Saison. Also, a stout IS beer.

+1 to adding 4-5 oz of sugar, then batch priming; I would use 4 for a stout. Dissolve 4 oz of sugar in 8 oz of water and heat it until the solution is clear. Then pour this into your bucket and siphon your stout on top. Bottle as usual and voila! Just like magic, in 3 weeks your bottles will (probably) be carbonated to your liking.

Oh ok i didnt know that.
Just thought it odd the back of the can didnt mention sugar before bottling.
Once again HBT has come through.
Thanks guys.

i would use priming sugar from your LHBS as opposed to table sugar however. No one mentioned that, thought i would.

Back