Adding Roasted Grains to wort before boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDF713

Reaction score
I'm planning a dopplebock that uses some carafa, and I would like to sparge the second runnings for a lighter beer. I have looked into cold or hot steeping dark roasted grains, like carafa, separately then adding to the wort later, but my other thought is to just put a bag of the few ounces of carafa into the kettle while I'm running the wort into the kettle for the first batch. That way the grain that I'll sparge for the second runnings will not have the darker grains.

This will be like capping the mash with darker grains, but only in the wort drained off, rather than the original mash.

Has anyone ever soaked bagged roasted grains in the wort in the kettle prior to boiling? Is there any advantage to steeping separately, besides a smoother flavor?

I've never done it. But I suppose it would not be any different than using specialty grains like in a extract kit. Those steep for 30 mins till temp hits 170 in most cases. You should pick up some color and flavors I would think... Good luck.

I've never done it. But I suppose it would not be any different than using specialty grains like in a extract kit. Those steep for 30 mins till temp hits 170 in most cases. You should pick up some color and flavors I would think... Good luck.

That was kind of my thought. I'm still debating if I should do this, or cold steep starting the night before, or mash temperature steep separately in a jar during the mash. Probably too much thought for 4 ounces of grain...

That was kind of my thought. I'm still debating if I should do this, or cold steep starting the night before, or mash temperature steep separately in a jar during the mash. Probably too much thought for 4 ounces of grain...
Yeah for just 4 ounces it may be. I would not sweat it brother [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back