adding rasberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kip

Reaction score
Okay so like the title says....

I've got a pilsner (I know it should be wheat but I like trying new things:rockin:) fermenting in the primary right now (day 2). I plan on waiting about a week and then adding fresh rasberries. The last time I tried this I microwaved the raspberries for 5 min to sterilize then added them. The problem was my batch got infected and I had to throw it all out. I've been making beer and wine at home for 10 years and that is only the second batch I've ever lost so I'm blaming the rasberries.

My question is: Can I just boil them in water instead to ensure they are clean or will that mess with the sugars and or flavors?

Since you make wine as well you should have Camden tablets available. Make a 'must' with just your fruit (puréed) with 1 tab per gallon of fruit, wait 24 hours and then pitch it into your secondary along with your beer. I've done it. Works great!

Most people will agree that boiling berries is a mistake as it will give your beer a pectin haze. But the haze in McMenamins' Ruby is a signature characteristic.

Back