Adding pump to my rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
So i'm planning on buying a chugger soon and was wondering if I could avoid buying camlocks and use hose barbs everywhere instead. Is that possible ? I use 1/2" ball valves on my setup...

I went with hose barbs and used 1/2" silicone tubing (good from -100 to 500F). When I'm done I just pull all the lines and put them in a bucket filled with PBW, let em soak for a couple minutes, rinse, drop in a bucket of StarSan then put them away for the next time.

Day tripper, care to let me know why ? I've done a lot of research on camlocks, especially concerning the use of type c camlock restricting the flow. The thing is i don't see why I should spend 60$ on camlocks if they're not necessary. It's not like i'm gonna work 8hours a day on my brew rig so i don't mind yanking on hoses

There's no problem using hose barbs, it's just not as convenient. I have 5/8" hose barbs with female thread for the input of the pump, then use a 5/8" barb with male threads on the output after the ball valve.

All right thanks bobby ! I'll place an order soon !

I just added a chugger to my setup (also via BobbyM - great vendor). I'll agree with daytripper and BobbyM in that, while the camlocks certainly aren't necessary, they certainly are convenient. I only do a few hose changes per brew on my system, but having the camlocks sure does make thing easier. It was money well-spent it my opinion.

YMMV however, so good luck with whatever you choose. Enjoy the brew.

So i'm planning on buying a chugger soon and was wondering if I could avoid buying camlocks and use hose barbs everywhere instead. Is that possible ? I use 1/2" ball valves on my setup...

I used to go the same route before I upgraded. Using the screw driver to loosen and re tighten the hose clamps each time you need to move a hose is perfectly doable. But, it does get annoying like people have said not to mention your close to the flame or HOT pot. I was able to get my QD's at a great price, but I think it's an investment that will make your brew session easier in the long run. Your upgrading to a pump...why not go a little further and do the connections while your at it. Good luck either way!

I just added a chugger to my setup (also via BobbyM - great vendor). I'll agree with daytripper and BobbyM in that, while the camlocks certainly aren't necessary, they certainly are convenient. I only do a few hose changes per brew on my system, but having the camlocks sure does make thing easier. It was money well-spent it my opinion.

YMMV however, so good luck with whatever you choose. Enjoy the brew.

Same here. I just used my new set up yesterday, and kicking myself for not doing it 20 brews ago.

Have a battery operated drill and a 1/4" nut driver bit? Makes for quick hose clamp loosening and tightening! If you have the soft silicone tubing just use one of the torque settings instead of the drill setting as to not rip the tubing up by over torquing.

Same here. I just used my new set up yesterday, and kicking myself for not doing it 20 brews ago.

And that conclusion is where my comment came from.

It's not just operating swaps, it's cleaning, storage, etc, without chewing up heavy wall silicone tubing - which isn't exactly cheap stuff to replace prematurely...

Cheers!

FWIW, I have been using the silicone tubing for well over 20 brews and have not replaced any of the lines. The SS hose barbs make a pretty tight fit and you don't have to torque the hose clamps all that much.

ok thanks guys. I think I'll settle on camlocks...Might as well shell a few bucks more and do it properly

+1 to cam locks. Make sure you get stainless!

image-2059463930.jpg

For what it's worth I pulled the trigger on my second pump. Didn't want to deal with all the connecting and disconnecting so bought a bunch 3 way ball valves then just used barbed fittings on each output.

No connecting or dissconnecting.

Steampunk said:
For what it's worth I pulled the trigger on my second pump. Didn't want to deal with all the connecting and disconnecting so bought a bunch 3 way ball valves then just used barbed fittings on each output. No connecting or dissconnecting.
I use s barbed fitting on my pump inlet and on the connections to my CFC and the whirlpool return on my BK BUT I also secure the silicone hoses w/ large plastic ratcheted clamps. They're easy on and off plus cheap. This way I don't worry about a surprise disconnect.

Back