adding Prickly Pear Syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
I would really like to try making a Prickly Pear flavored ale, but am running into some conflicts.

I was thinking that I could just add the syrup (which has cane sugar) into secondary, but then I realized that that would be a fermentable sugar.
So, then I was thinking that I could just Back-Sweeten it, but then I would not be able to carbonate for bottling since the yeast would be killed.

If I just added in the syrup with my malt extract and fermented as usual..would I lose all Prickly Pear flavor? Or might there be some residual sweetness/flavor left?

In a beer I would add it after primary or in a secondary. What is your recipe and yeast? Most yeasts will eat ALL of that sugar depending upon the recipe. I have done an imperial blonde prickly pear braggot and a prickly pear cyser with good luck. I put almost two gallons of fruit into the cyser and the color and flavor is mostly washed out. About half of the two gallons was well after primary.

GTG

Back