Adding pectic enzyme post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky

Reaction score
Hey all,

I did a silly thing. I have made a sloe wine which has turned out pretty tasty. I added some finings to try and clear the wine, but 2 weeks later and I still have some cloudy wine. Thus I'm assuming that it's a pectic haze.

So, I got off down to my hbs *coughebaycough* and bought some enzyme.
So, what is he procedure here?
I've never had a pectic haze before.

Dicky

Pull a cup of wine out of your carboy and add 1tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon. Stir occasionally for several hours. Strain the liquid (I use the strainer that I bought with the funnel I use) and add back into the liquid. It should clear in a week.

it probably won't work very well. alcohol inhibits pectic enzyme from doing its job. That is why most people recommend that you add the enzyme, weight 12 hours, THEN pitch the yeast. It has been my experience however that it take a fare amount of alcohol to inhibit the enzyme so I pitch the yeast at the same time I add the enzyme. Either way using it after the wine has fermented out is not very effective, sorry.

Well, what's the worst that could happen. Thanks anyway.
Dicky
Yes, go ahead and try it. I did the same thing last year on a fruit wine. As Daze suggested, it did not clear for me in the carboy. After waiting a few weeks, I bottled it. After all, it was a bit hazy, but the taste was good. After several months, a bit of light sediment dropped to the bottom of the bottles. I had to pour the wine carefully, but it was pretty clear in the glass. It never got "brilliant," but otherwise it was fine. Whether the pectic enzyme helped it clear or just time, I don't know. In any case, as you said, it didn't hurt.

After adding it, I guess your choices are to bulk age for some months until it clears, or bottle it as I did and decant when serving it.

Back