Adding oranges (Tips)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmanning507

Reaction score
I have a nice spring time blonde ale I would like to impart some fruit flavored into; but I am hesitant on how the best way to add the flavor. I was thinking adding dried orange peels to a secondary. Is there any tips or techniques that will help?

Use fresh orange peel rather than dried for better, juicier flavor. Just the zest really off as many oranges as you feel is necessary. You can also zest a bunch of fruit and drop it in some high quality vodka for a couple of weeks to make a tincture and add it at bottling, kegging or even in the glass when consuming with a dropper.

Ok thanks! My question is, if I use fresh orange peels is there a possibility of the oils ruining my carbonation?

I used the fresh zest of two oranges for a saison, next time I'm Adding more but I think the Orange is a little muted due to the distinct flavor of the saison yeast, you may have better luck using an ale yeast for the blonde that is really neutral in flavor. I added all the zest with 10 min left in the boil and have zero issues with carbonation so I wouldn't worry about that.

Just brewed a citrus IPA with the zest of 2 oranges and 2 tangerines added to the boil at 5 minutes. Used an ordinary vegetable peeler and left the pith behind. The aroma from the kettle and out of the airlock is incredible and strongly citrus, but the jury is out on the beer itself. Many people seem to have similar quantities added at a similar time with good results, so I expect it will be work just fine.

I have used the zest, dried peels and fresh peels with the pith and steeped for 10 mins. Fresh has given me the best flavor and aroma. I used the peels of 2 large navel oranges for a 5 gallon batch.

I did a lemon lime wheat and I added simply limeade after 4 days of fermentation. That was a nice flavor also.

I did a wit that I added orange to. I used the zest from 2 oranges at 5 min, and the I put the oranges in a blender with a little water and blended it, after that I brought it up to 170F for 5 minutes and froze it. When I was chilling the beer I put it in a mesh bag to catch all the pulp and put it the wort. It gave it a great citrusy bite when you first sip it the goes away at the end.

Back