adding orange zest and juice to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey i was just thinking im going to be adding oragne zest to my wheat beer that i have in the primary right now when it is movied to the secondary but would it hurt to add the juice from the orage also to help give it that orange/citrus flavor i want to add to my wheat beer?

Hmm... I've brewed the BO Hefe many times and I have an idea here, perhaps it might work?

What if instead of racking to secondary, you zest 3 or 4 oranges and cut up the fruit, discard the peels, place the zest and fruit into a mesh bag and steep it in 2.5 cups of water for 20-25 minutes. At the buzzer, take your mesh bag out of the orange tea and add your priming sugar, then turn the heat up to a close boil for sanitation. Remove from the heat, allow to cool a bit, then pour into your bottling bucket. Rack your beer directly on top of it and bottle it up, then let it condition as usual.

That should bring a hint of orange into your beer while carbing it as well, killing a couple birds with a single stone. Doesn't sound half bad though I'd wait for another to chime in with their opinion.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I've never racked a wheat to secondary, then again I love a dirty wheat :mug:

I made almost this same beer a month ago. My friends all loved it. I put the orange zest and orange flesh chunks in a mesh bag and steeped for 25 minutes. I added it to the carboy during fermentation.

I personally thought it turned out ok but nothing i would back flip over. I would like to try Jsmiths method if I ever made it again just to see the taste difference.

I also crushed some lavender and put it in a tea strainer in my glass. that actually was interesting. I liked it lol.

well im not lookign to make a orange wheat beer.. im makeing a raspberry wheat beer but i want to add a small bit of orange sweetness and citrus flavor to go with the raspbeer tartness flavor it gives off...

so i did not knwo if the zest woudl be enoff or if i added a little bit of the juice from the oragne i zested would be needed..

so how about this i boil the zest with the orange frust chunks.. then i take them out and add the water with the zest to the secondary then add the frozen raspberrys ?

im going to add about 2-3 pounds of frozen raspberrs and 1.5lbs of frozen raspberry puree.

or maybe i will add the raspberry fruit and puree to the boild water with the orange and zest to make sure it is sterile

what do u guys think about this?

I actually mad a raspberry ale today. I only used 2.5 lbs of fresh berries that i froze. That is a ton of flavor believe it or not. It depends how much orange flavor you want. I would suggest just the zest. the juice will contribute some "off" flavors IMO. You can steep the raspberries but I have added them just frozen. It gives the beer a bit of a lambic taste, probably from stuff on the berries I'm guessing. I would not boil the zest or the berries. boiling will cause flavor loss. Steep them for 25 minutes at the most. I would skip the puree addition and just use the 2.5 lbs of berries and add them to the secondary for 7 days. The yeast will take care of them and they will turn a whitish green color. Just my opinion. when i did the heffeweizen orange i thought it was a little too much orange flavor. But I'm a big IPA guy so.......... either way let me know how it works out. I was going to try a wheat razz but decided on an ale. I up'd the grain bill to give it more beer flavor and a higher ABV% this time though. Should be 7.5% now. It was a little too lady like before.

I actually mad a raspberry ale today. I only used 2.5 lbs of fresh berries that i froze. That is a ton of flavor believe it or not. It depends how much orange flavor you want. I would suggest just the zest. the juice will contribute some "off" flavors IMO. You can steep the raspberries but I have added them just frozen. It gives the beer a bit of a lambic taste, probably from stuff on the berries I'm guessing. I would not boil the zest or the berries. boiling will cause flavor loss. Steep them for 25 minutes at the most. I would skip the puree addition and just use the 2.5 lbs of berries and add them to the secondary for 7 days. The yeast will take care of them and they will turn a whitish green color. Just my opinion. when i did the heffeweizen orange i thought it was a little too much orange flavor. But I'm a big IPA guy so.......... either way let me know how it works out. I was going to try a wheat razz but decided on an ale. I up'd the grain bill to give it more beer flavor and a higher ABV% this time though. Should be 7.5% now. It was a little too lady like before.

ok well i will go with jsut the zest about how many ounces of zest shoudl i go with do u think? i do want want to make sure there is a good sense of flavor of the orange/citrus .. i want the raspberry to be the main flavor then then oragne.....but i really want eht orange to be the nice balance to the raspberry tartness with the citrus sweetness

yah right now my alcohol % for my beer is at 6.5% right now as of the last gravity reading i did .. starting gravity was 1.07 and i checked it the other day and it was down to 1.02 ... the brew has been sitting in the fermentor for about 3 weeks and 3 days now.. i am hopeing the beer can reach a soild 7% alcohol%

im goign to more then likly go with the puree cause i bought it already for the beer.. i used 1.5pounds of it in the primary and froze up the rest a nother 1.5 pounds and was planning on using it wiht the frozen raspberrys.

I just steeped some lemon and lime zest into a ginger ale. It's in the secondary now waiting to be bottled, so I simply cut the zest up, placed it in a muslin bag, attached to fishing line so it can be retrieved, and after a week, it was ready. Absorbs plenty of flavor, and it's very easy :)

I used the zest of 4 oranges in my heff. I was very orange tasting. I used a zester and got all of the zest from all 4 oranges. But I also steeped the chunks as I said earlier. I would say 4-6 would be enough. very interested please let me know how it ends up.

ok i guess i should probly already know the answer to this question but being my frist brew when u say steeping the fruit and zest ... im guessing that is at a temp that is below boiling right? what temp shoudl i be doing that at? and should i add the water the fruit and zest is in into the secondary?

well i just added 2lbs of frozen raspberrys and used the 1.5 pounds of frozen raspberry puree that i had left.. and i used the zest of 3 oranges and i took the fruit of one orange and steeped it.

so i put the fruit and puree and zest in frist.. and put the beer in ... u can see the raspberrys on the top.. but the on bottom of the carboy u can see a darker red color compaired to the middle of the carboy .. im guessing its the puree.. now shoudl i some how shake the carboy up a tad so it will all mix up?

i have some pics i will post up in a bit.. frist i got to throw some duct tap on the rubber stopper cause it is not staying in fully...

PIC_0160.JPG

PIC_0157.JPG

PIC_0163.JPG

PIC_0166.JPG

no need to shake. The rasberries always float and with just the berries you will get a lot of flavor. The yeast will attack them and they will turn a whitish green. looking good.

no need to shake. The rasberries always float and with just the berries you will get a lot of flavor. The yeast will attack them and they will turn a whitish green. looking good.

well what about the puree... it looks like it is just sitting on the bottom of the carboy

Interesting.. Can't lie, it looks delicious from the pictures.. I love Raspberry, a local brewery / restaurant called Trail Head in St. Charles MO has a Raspberry blonde I'm pretty sure SWMBO would trade ME in for if she could, haha... It's pretty damn good.

So I was originally recommending steeping your zest and fruit in the water you would add your priming sugar to just prior to bottling and skipping secondary all together (this was a wheat right?) but regardless I think you did good settling on a decision and going all in on it. I'm thinking you're going to have a really tasty late summer beer on your hands here, curious to hear the final results.

Cheers!

EDIT**: About the puree

I recently brewed my own Aprihop clone, I used 3 lbs of apricot puree, dumped it in the bucket, added my dry hops, then racked the beer right on top of it for secondary. It mixed well when I racked but once I racked to the bottle bucket, I had a massive puree cake in the bottom of the secondary bucket and I thought the same thing, didn't mix well enough and maybe I didn't get the full effect I was looking for out of the puree. I was wrong; 3lbs OWNED my beer without blinking... Definitly cutting down to 2lbs for the next batch, maybe even 1.5.

1.5lbs puree + 2lbs frozen berries + orange zest and steeped fruit tea + 5 gallons beer = There will be PLENTY of Raspberry flavor in your beer, I guarantee it.

well thanks for all that help guys.. it made my frist brewing experince go smooth with all the questions i had....

im going to be picking up a keg soon so i can keg my brew.. and when i fill my frist glass i will be sure to take a pic of it to let everybody knwo what it looks liek and how it taste

now about how long shoudl i let it sit in the secondary? i was thinking 3 weeks to make sure all the flavor got in there.. and to give it more time to let the remaning yeast help clean up the beer some more... or would there be no point to let it sit in that long?

3 weeks sounds like it should work. You might want to read around a bit more about using fruit in secondaries since I know that the flavors subside after a certain period of time. If you really want to taste the raspberry, I would probably say 2-3 weeks sounds about right.

well after about 10 days go by i will take a sample and tast it.....but if there are any experenced members who mess around with adding fruit to there secondary that could give there in put that woudl be great

Back