Adding my own, "Is this normal" Thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telp

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of these threads and I'm sorry I'm just gonna add one more to it. This has been fermenting for the past 9 days and has looked like this basically since I pitched my yeast I believe. Just looking for verification one way or another.

Thanks

photo.jpg

Looks fine. One of the most interesting things of brewing is being a fermentation voyeur- I never liked bucket fermentation for that reason.

What yeast strain is it? If it's a top-cropper, which it appears it is, you may need a cold crash to knock it down. I had to do that for my last pumpkin ale.

That is gnarly looking though! :mug:

I used a Wyeast American Ale liquid yeast for it. I am new to this, what is a cold crashing?

I was thinking about racking this to secondary pretty soon. Should that be a problem? Instead of cold crashing can I just rack underneath that into a secondary?

Cold crashing is moving it into a fridge or really cold area, down to upper 30s, for 48 hours or so.

Shouldn't be a problem, but make sure you are at FG. And you can rack from underneath it. May want to use a nylon sock or hop bag over your racking cane to try to keep out as much sediment as you can.

Good idea with the hop bag. Just out of curiosity, if I cold crash it before it's at FG will that send the yeast into hibernation, and will they come out under normal room temperature after the cold crash?

Technically yes, but you may as well wait until you have reached FG. And given the time frame, you should be there, but it's best to make sure.

And just one last question them. If I'm already at FG, is there a point to even transferring it to a secondary?

No, that's completely up to you. You can go ahead and bottle or move to keg or wherever your next step takes you.

twistr25 said:
No, that's completely up to you. You can go ahead and bottle or move to keg or wherever your next step takes you.

Thanks for the help twistr!

Back