Adding Molasses to the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDsBrewhouse

Reaction score
I searched the site, couldn't find an answer. Can I add molasses to the secondary. We brewed a winter warmer, but forgot to add the molasses during the boil. It has been a week in primary, getting set to secondary so I was thinking of putting it on molasses at this time. One of the reasons, the OG was lower than expected, so the ABV is at 5% now when it was expected to be at 7.5%
The beer tastes great right now, I always taste after the hydrometer comes out :)
The other idea I've been exploring is adding some brown sugar, hoping there is enough yeast in secondary to transform that into alcohol. Any thoughts or experiences will be appreciated.

Primary:
White Stout
Winter Warmer

Secondary:
Nothing at present

Drinking:
8.1% Abbey Ale
6% Oatmeal Stout
5% Session Ale

You can add it to secondary. Heat it above 160F for 15 min or so and the add it. It will kick off an additional fermentation. Another option would be to use molasses to prime it if you're bottling. Northern Brewer has a priming calculator that includes molasses.

I added the molasses & honey in secondary for my kottbusser, a light colored German ale. I added the molasses in a sanitized small glass with some fermenting beer from the spigot to thin it out, as with the honey. But you could indeed nuke a small amount of water to thin the molasses a bit so it'll mix in easily. And pasteurizing @ 160F happens in seconds, not minutes. It would be about 30 minutes @ 142F.

Back