Adding Maple Extract to Bottling Bucket - How much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reidjoshua

Reaction score
I'm making a Vanilla Maple Porter and have 4 fl. oz. of maple extract I want to put in the bottling bucket of my 5 gallon batch.

I'm trying to find if anyone knows how much I should use and how it would affect the priming of the bottles?

I will be using this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002PHEDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

FWIW I added two scraped/chopped Madagascar vanilla beans and soaked in a bit of vodka to sanitize.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

-Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't impact the priming "Ingredients: water, alcohol, pure maple syrup concentrate, caramel color."

As for the amount, "to taste" is the best advice for any extract. Take a few measured samples of the beer, add different amounts of the extract. Pick your favorite ratio, and then scale up to the whole batch.

Good luck!

I recommend you actually prime the brew with maple syrup as well, for more maple flavor. 7-8 ounces would work nicely

I'm making a Vanilla Maple Porter and have 4 fl. oz. of maple extract I want to put in the bottling bucket of my 5 gallon batch.

I'm trying to find if anyone knows how much I should use and how it would affect the priming of the bottles?

I will be using this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002PHEDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

FWIW I added two scraped/chopped Madagascar vanilla beans and soaked in a bit of vodka to sanitize.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

-Josh

Curious how this turned out and what amount you ended up using? I just recently bought this same extract along with the Peanut Butter & Chocolate and have been debating which ones to use in my porter.

I plan to keg so I'll probably start low and ramp up to taste but I was going to go with 2 ozs for 5 gallons. Is that similar to what you used?

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this thread is a bit old, but did anyone ever complete their maple beers successfully? How did they turn out, how much maple extract was used, and where was it used? Thanks for any information you can provide as I'm looking to do the same thing to my beer.

I can't tell you how much maple extract to use. However I can suggest that anyone wanting to brew a maple beer not limit themselves to actual maple, but to cheat by using an Indian spice known as fenugreek. Buy some, smell it, and imagine Mrs. Butterworth. Yes, I'm about 99.9% certain that fenugreek is used in all big commercial syrups, and is the defining ingredient of what people think of when they hear the word "maple", even though it has nothing to do with maple at all. Kind of like how witbier tastes like orange citrus from the coriander and not the orange peel (typically), or how LP gas smells skunky, it is because of the artificial additives that give us these ideas even moreso than the natural ingredients in them.

Back