Adding Kahlua to Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanMan15

Reaction score
My latest brew is a coffee stout and I've been hit with an inspiration to add Kahlua in the secondary. Is this a good idea? I'm adding cold brew coffee as soon as I transfer to the secondary, but I'm trying to determine when would be best to add Kahlua. I imagine that there is sugar in that Kahlua that will ferment out. Maybe I should do a tertiary fermentation and add it then? Will there be enough of the Kahlua flavor for this to even been worth it?

Last edited:
I’ve never looked up what’s in baileys but I have a strong feeling that you will get a lot of head retention issues because of “cream” product they use in Baileys. You might fair better by trying to mimic the flavor.

I’ll be kegging a Mexican hot chocolate stout with Cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla and cinnamon and I can already tell it will work pretty well mimicking the real thing

Having seen recipes for home made Kahlua..you might be okay? Assuming that in secondary, the likelihood of active yeast seems fairly minimal?

You might be able to combine vanilla beans, coffee and rum (or tequila, I’ve seen recipes that call on either) into a really mild oak chip and then you don’t need to worry about the sugar?

I’ve never looked up what’s in baileys but I have a strong feeling that you will get a lot of head retention issues because of “cream” product they use in Baileys. You might fair better by trying to mimic the flavor.

I’ll be kegging a Mexican hot chocolate stout with Cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla and cinnamon and I can already tell it will work pretty well mimicking the real thing

Just curious, what is the Mexican part of that stout?

mexican chocolate, Mexican vanilla, Mexican coffee, and Mexican cinnamon. It’s the traditional flavor profile of the way they make Xocolatl in my in-laws home town in Pebla, Mexico

That's what is traditionally added, some people adds chile too, but not every mexican likes chile so it can be found without it or with less ingredients or other ingredients, it's pretty State dependent and then every family has it's own recipe

Kahlua and baileys are two separate animals.

I’ve added homemade kahlua to my brown ales in the past. It works really well. No head retention issues as you might get from baileys.

You probably don’t need the secondary or tertiary.

Kahlua and baileys are two separate animals.

I’ve added homemade kahlua to my brown ales in the past. It works really well. No head retention issues as you might get from baileys

You probably don’t need the secondary or tertiary.
I’m glad you pointed that out, thank you. I was thinkIng Baileys the entire time.

Kahlua can be poured directly into the keg or bottling buckets. Kahliua just vanilla, coffee, and rum I think, so should be good since you’re not a brewery and don’t need to worry about Puritan laws

mexican chocolate, Mexican vanilla, Mexican coffee, and Mexican cinnamon. It’s the traditional flavor profile of the way they make Xocolatl in my in-laws home town in Pebla, Mexico
Cool. Maybe like Abuelita chocolate? I have a great friend who lives now in Puebla.

On OP, I forgot that Kahlua is less creamy. I'll try adding a little on top of a very good stout I have on tap now to see how it feels.

So I couldn't resist and added 1/2 oz of Kahlua to a pint of my stout. It was not bad but it totally took out the good beer taste and complexity so I didn't like it. Maybe I added too much. If I were you, I would buy a good craft stout and add the Kahlua and see if you like it before committing to it.

Cool. Maybe like Abuelita chocolate? I have a great friend who lives now in Puebla.

On OP, I forgot that Kahlua is less creamy. I'll try adding a little on top of a very good stout I have on tap now to see how it feels.
Tapped it tonight and it’s pretty darn close to what they make
B8BCCDE0-132D-4A7E-8216-1E4C06631E27.jpeg

Back