Adding hops to wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicmethod

Reaction score
Has anyone ever added hops to wine? I am a hophead and have done 1 batch of wine. It was fairly boring so I'm wondering about adding hops.

I was thinking I could boil a small amount of the grape extract on the stove with a small amount of bittering hops and then throw some extra in the fermenter like dry hops.

Any opinions on this? Has someone tried and and had to dump the batch?

I tried it on Apfewein. I hated it, most of my friends hated it, but one friend loved it. (we are all beer drinkers)

the boiling might change the character of the juice. If you have to add sugar to your wine to get the OG up high enough, I'd suggest doing a boil of water with sugar and the hops.

the boiling might change the character of the juice. If you have to add sugar to your wine to get the OG up high enough, I'd suggest doing a boil of water with sugar and the hops.

Well could you not just boil the hops in water and add that to your wine-brew to top it up? Essence of hops I suppose?

Well could you not just boil the hops in water and add that to your wine-brew to top it up? Essence of hops I suppose?

I think you something in the boil besides just water. That why I suggested the extra sugar that is often (but not always) needed for a must be used. But it could just be that there is better extraction of hop essence when done with something other than just water.

If it is just "Boring" or "Insipid" - consider adding some tannins... They are a far more "Traditional" bittering/flavoring additive...

Another suggestion is to age it on Oak... That also contributes both tannins and other interesting flavorings....

Thanks

Back