Adding Honey to secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfur1

Reaction score
In an experimental state of mind right now. I've done some coffee stouts racking on beans in my secondary and got great flavor. Added vanilla to a bock in my secondary to make a great vanilla bock. This month in my homebrew of the month kit I got an Aussie Ale from Midwest and was thinking about trying to add Honey into the secondary to give it a little different flavor(Last time I made this Aussie ale it was kinda bland likea fosters). I've added honey into my boil before and it didn't add much flavor. Will the Honey in the secondary give me more of a flavor??? Will I have to let it completely ferment the sugar out of the honey so tha tI don't get a bunch of bottlebombs???

Honey in secondary will give more flavor than honey in the boil, all else being equal.

Yes, you MUST let it ferment out completely (as you have to with ANY other sugar) or you risk bottle bombs. Stable gravity is key.

I don't think you'll get too much flavor from the secondary either. You will get more than if you added the honey into the boil though. I think that if you are looking for a real honey flavor in your beer, adding honey malt to your grist is the way to go. Keep the percentage low, around 5% as it can get pretty cloyingly sweet at higher amounts.

Back