Adding Fruit in Primary - Calculate Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Spiegel

Reaction score
Hey,

I want to make a fruited Gose, but I think the best way to impart the fruit flavor I want is to add either puree or fresh fruit or something into the primary a few days after fermentation has started. My question is, if I'm adding it in to the primary, what's the best way to calculate the actual OG of the beer, given that the puree will be adding sugars post-brew day? If I know how many grams of sugar are in the puree, would I just add that to my mash calculator to estimate the OG? Or take an OG reading on brew day and then add however many grams of sugar to it for a more accurate reading?

Thanks.

Adding it doesn't really add that much as you think. Your adding water , whether it's puree or frozen fruit . Also I would add the fruit right at the tail end of fermentation. Preserve that nice fruit aroma .

Adding it doesn't really add that much as you think. Your adding water , whether it's puree or frozen fruit . Also I would add the fruit right at the tail end of fermentation. Preserve that nice fruit aroma .
Just curious, if someone was transferring from fermenter to bottling bucket would you add priming sugar then puree/frozen fruit THEN transfer to bottling bucket?

fwiw, when I do a fruited wheat I typically rack the base beer atop the fruit already in a fresh vessel then let that sit for a few days before starting the post-fermentation process. [edit] One does need to allow for fermentation of the fruit sugars, which while modest could cause problems if packaged in glass too early.

Some brewing recipe creation programs can account for fruit additions. As mentioned the net SG contribution can be small as there's a lot of water added as well...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just curious, if someone was transferring from fermenter to bottling bucket would you add priming sugar then puree/frozen fruit THEN transfer to bottling bucket?

Me personally, I would do the fruit in primary (end of fermentation), the transfer to the bucket.

It depends on your fv . So when I was using carboys I would add the fruit to a clean carboy then rack the beer on top of the fruit . When I use my Fasferment or my Spike CF5 I would add the fruit to the beer slowly . It's easier because the opening of the fv is bigger on these , which means less transferring and cleaning.

Back