Adding flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyghost86

Reaction score
Okay, bear with me. I am totally new to home brewing having only done two kits from Brewers Best. The Belgian Stout and the DIPA. Both have come out very good and I'm pleased with the results. I have been creeping around the site for the past 6 months or so and know there are quite a few of you in the know.

I would like to continue with the kits for a few more brews until I am totally comfortable with the process, but I want to add flavor (coffee, pumpkin spice, vanilla....) and I was reading the thread about adding to the second fermentation to accomplish this. How is this done without infecting the brew? I am very basic in my setup right now, just the buckets and 2 carboys. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

ps- I am also posting the same question on another home brewing forum so I can get as much info as possible!!!

Your best bet is whatever you like to drink. Which or what commercial beers do you want to clone? You have enough equipment so that is not an issue. I'm not trying to be a jerk answering a question with a question, I could be more help with a little more information. When I was a new brewer, the wealth of information available here, is what brought my brewing techniques from zero to hero.

Don't think you are being a jerk at all, point well taken.

I am leaning toward either a stout or brown ale...I want to stay simple for the time being but with the kits the direction are pretty cut and dry and I am not sure at what point to add say pumpkin, coffee, or vanilla or how to add them without infecting the beer and how long. I am pretty sure you don't just scrape out pumpkin innards and dump them into your brew, or maybe you do. That's kind of what I am trying to find out.

If people are going to use actual pumpkin they usually do it in the mash, but honestly most of the flavor of "pumpkin" beers comes from the spices. The basic brewing radio guys did an experiment a while back comparing spices only with pumpkin and spices, as I recall there wasn't much noticeable difference. I've only ever added pumpkin spices at the end of the boil, but I'd think the contamination risk in secondary with just some powdered spices would be low. You can do a small tincture with vodka in the secondary if you are worried about it, and that would be a common technique with vanillla beans for example. If you search for the specific type of beer you want to brew and/or check out some recipes in the database you can probably find details on technique.
:mug:

I was at a party last Saturday and one of the guys had a Vanilla Blond and it was a women Magnet. Basically all you do for that is Split 3 or 4 Vanilla beans and soak in a Vodka for three weeks after you brew your beer and put it in your primary then you add the Vodka and the beans. It was very good and easy to make and My wife asked me to make it for her. The Beans are soaking right now and I will be brewing a cream ale in a couple of weeks. :)

Back