Adding fittings to home depot 10 gal cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
Ill soon be needing to add some ball valves and an rtd sensor to my home depot 10 gallon mash tun. Has anyone else done these mods to them without leaks? If so, how? I plan to make my system a herms and i need to add a ball valve on the top and id like to add a temp sensor on the side so i dont have to keep removing the lid to take the mash temp
Thanks in advance

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun

i've used this setup on two mash tuns (small 5 gallon cooler and a 12 gallon cooler). Hasn't leaked at all.
Also, don't keep removing the lid to take temps, if you're losing a cooler, all it's going to lose is a degree or two an hour while sealed. if you keep opening it up, more heat goes bye bye. so the best thing to do? leave it closed! lol

Rivenin said:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun

i've used this setup on two mash tuns (small 5 gallon cooler and a 12 gallon cooler). Hasn't leaked at all.
Also, don't keep removing the lid to take temps, if you're losing a cooler, all it's going to lose is a degree or two an hour while sealed. if you keep opening it up, more heat goes bye bye. so the best thing to do? leave it closed! lol

Its already converted. I just need to add additional fittings. One for a temp sensor, and a ball valve for around the top

I looked at one of the HD 10gal coolers today....had a bit of an idea.

How about inverting it on top of a 2" metal pipe. Then blast the inside bottom (up inside it, around the pipe) with a heat-gun while pushing down on the bottom (outside top) of the cooler.... If it is hot enough to warp the bottom, that would create a bowl-shape in the inside of the cooler. Then, install a ball valve in the center underneath, instead of the side of the cooler and ultimately, use a SS false bottom, like the ones people use for keggles.

If this was at all unclear, it's probably because I ramble instead of using English. :)

Back