Adding dry hops. Carbd.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu812

Reaction score
Beer is in the keg inside keezer and has been on gas for 2 weeks. I just found some cascade in the refrigerator that I forgot to add for dry hopping this recipe. Is it too late for the full flavor of the hops to come out due to the low temp, or the beer being carbonated?

Hey ICU,

Not 100% sure it's too late for you. I think you can still dry hop it, here's what i'd do:

Pull keg from fridge and put back into basement, let gas out, and pop keg open add the dry hops in pantyhose or whatever method you use, add a bit of gas back in to purge air, but not necessarily to bring it up to your desired serving CO2 levels. Let sit min. of a week, more if you can. Then pull pantyhose once time has elapsed, and cool back down to serving temp. I don't think the temp swing will cause you any issues, you should be ok.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

me, I just wrap them up, toss them in the cold/carbed keg and keep drinking. works good. Last time I made an APA and it wasn't quite as hoppy as I wanted, so I dropped 2oz in and away we went.

I've had fine luck dry-hopping while cold in the keg. Vinnie Cilurzo says he dry-hops at 50F, so I see no problem with doing it cold.

Might still want them in a hop bag so you can pull them out when you pull a pint and find it's perfect.

Definitely wrap them up in something, particularly if it's pellet hops. The little bits and pieces of hop particle will make great nucleation points for the CO2 if they're just loose.
Then the beer would foam up and overflow.

I have done this before. Just tossed the hops in one of the fine mesh bags, slowly de-gassed keg. Dropped in the bag. Purged, pressurized and kept on drinking. :mug:

Back