Adding dme to an low efficiency batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerIsDelicious

Reaction score
Is there a calculation of how much dme to add to your ag wort to bring it up a certain amount of gravity points? I hit way low because I think my lbhs left out some malt that I ordered and i didn't weigh the bag before mashing in.

I'M bringing up to a boil now, and im at a 1.032 when the estimated is 1.058 in a 5 gallon batch.

DME typically has 40 gravity points per pound.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch that would be 8 points per lb of DME.

You need 26 points. 26/8 = 3.25 lbs of DME needing to be added.

"I'M bringing up to a boil now, and im at a 1.032 when the estimated is 1.058 in a 5 gallon batch."

Is that pre boil or post boil?

I would add to the boil toward the end.

Good question tasq. I'm assuming he means 5 gallons post boil.

I would add to the boil toward the end.

Good question tasq. I'm assuming he means 5 gallons post boil.

I'm wondering if he took pre-boil gravity and is expecting post boil numbers. That's sure what it sounds like.

If that's the case, check your gravity AFTER the boil and add dme accordingly, if needed.

Actually, that's a good point. Haven't added DME in this situation in quite some time. In order for your hop additions to be true to the IBU estimate you'd want that gravity in there pretty much right away.

This is why I use Beersmith, it calculates my pre-boil gravity for me! ;) FWIW, you'll get close enough (for me anyways) if you boil it up in a minimal amount of water and add it to the fermenter after the fact.

IBU variation will be of the order of 10%, to the high side. Don't worry about hop utilization.

DME adds 46 points per lb.

To add DME to the wort. Disolve it in a little boiling water, coo, and then add the syrup to the fermenting wort.

I'm wondering if he took pre-boil gravity and is expecting post boil numbers. That's sure what it sounds like.

If that's the case, check your gravity AFTER the boil and add dme accordingly, if needed.

The gravity number WAS pre-boil. Rookie mistake. I added a bit too much DME and ended up with a final gravity about 10 points over what I was shooting for. So it'll be a stronger beer. I'll be interested to see how this turns out. It was also a wheat beer recipe that I had my LBHS crush and bag up for me (they put it all in the same bag). They left one of the grains out (which I know because I weighed the bag), but I'm actually not sure if it was the wheat or 2-row, but pretty sure it was the 2-row.

Appropriately, this beer will be called WTF -- Wheat the ****?

Latest posts

Back