Adding DME after fermentation Starts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I just brewed a lambic using a turbid mash (more like terribad mash) with 6 lb 2 row and 5 lb unmalted wheat. I missed my OG and was going to use either pale DME or wheat dme, boil it, then add it to my fermenter to boost my gravity.

Has anyone done this before? I am not looking for specifically a lambic, but any brew that you missed?

I have added candi sugar to the secondary, but not added DME to already fermenting beer to boost it.

thanks

How far were you off? A couple of points isnt going to make a huge difference. If it's already chuggin away I'd just leave it be.

So the absolute answer is yes you can do it, just make sure you have boiled the DME and that you are in the early stages of fermentation so any oxygen you introduce will be taken up by the yeast. I sometimes do a mid ferment nutrient addition with a bit of boiled DME for a very high gravity beer.

If you are only off by a couple points though it may not make much of a difference, and it does make calculating your new gravity a bit difficult.

Good you do that for a very high gravity beer as opposed to making a starter? Pitch and aerate into a 1.040 beer, wait a day, pour in more wort up to whatever og, and re aerate? seems like you would have very healthy yeast

I'm in the same boat. Not sure what happened this time around!!

How much DME and water should I add? Would it be the same amount if I use Demerara Sugar (for times when I can't get to the LHBS)? Do I boil it for 15min.?

You can add additional fermentables at any time. Best is when peak fermentation starts to slow down (a few days).

Most important thing is to minimize any addition of oxygen. Water contains a lot of oxygen; so ensure you boil it for 10 minutes to drive off the oxygen from the water in your dissolved sugars.

Remember, you add sugar in a similar fashion when bottling.

So would the ratio of water to DME or Sugar be: 1cup of water to 5 ounces of DME or Sugar?

Answered my own ? here. I did ratio above. Boiled up 1lb. of dextrose and let cool. I didn't have either of the others on hand. Checked hydrometer was at 1012 added the sugar water shot to 1020. Slowly stirred up yeast on bottom not to add more O2. Had some dry yeast I just let sit on top just in case. Sealed up and 20min. later chugging away in the bubbler.

+1 to what Zen_Brew said. I had to do this for the first time recently. I just kegged the beer this weekend and so far it tastes fine.

Back