Adding Coffee today - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProstheticHead

Reaction score
So Im brewing a breakfast stout that calls for 2oz of coffee grounds at flameout. I dont wanna add grounds, but I'd rather add cold brewed coffee. So my question is how much coffee should i add?

ps - I'm using keurig cups, and i think each cup has about .5 oz of coffee in them. Should I brew up 4 cups? Any suggestions?

Well, you an always add more, but you can never take it out. Brew up more than you think you'll need, but then just add a cup at a time until you get the level you want.

Cold brewed is the way to go. Last time I brewed a coffee stout I used 6 ounces of Sumatra which is a dark roast. I thought it gave it a nice smooth coffee taste without being over whelming. I think I would do the same when I do it again. I might even use slightly more if it was a light roast such an African coffee. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

What Bill said. Coffee flavor level in your stout is subjective to your tastebuds. It's much easier to add too little coffee to your beer and just add a little more than trying to remove the coffee flavor if you add too much. When I would add it is just prior to bottling for a few reasons. Stouts generally contain some amount of roasted grains in them. The different types can impart different "coffee like" roasted flavor to the beer, so adding more coffee to it should be done at a stage when you can taste the beer after it's finished fermenting. There's no harm in pitching a cup or two of coffee into the bottling bucket along with your priming sugar. Just add in a small amount (say a half cup at a time) and very slowly and gently stir it in, then taste. If it needs more, add more, and repeat until you have the amount you want.

Thanks for the responses. I am using Sumatra Coffee as well. The recipe for founders breakfast stout on BYO called for sumatra at flameout, and kona in secondary. I was gonna do the bottling day method instead of secondary. But I can see what you all are saying, sumatra being very bold, it wouldnt take 4 cups to get the coffee flavor i want, especially if i add more later. Thanks again!

How do you cold brew k-cups? Like, rip them open and cold brew the grounds?

Cold brew coffee is the best! Well, besides beer.

Don't add any at flame out. Wait untill you bottle and add to taste at that time. Of course use cold brewed coffee.

This^^^^^.

If you add cold brewed coffee at flameout, it will lose the smooth, mellow character of cold brewed coffee. Best to add at bottling. No need at all for a secondary on this beer.

Latest posts

Back