Adding coffee to primary - stirring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjoystick

Reaction score
I'd like to add some cold-steeped coffee to my Imperial Stout but I have few questions.

The beer has been brewing for six days now and I think the fermentation is about over (I'm aiming for a 7-8 alc% beer).

I was thinking to cold-steep the coffee and put a bit of rum on it keep things sanitized. So when I put the coffee to primary container, what should I do with stirring? I'm a bit worried with the yeast mixing with the beer again, and contaminating the beer with oxygen.

I just did this with a Breakfast Stout clone (it scored 37 at a recent comp). I racked the beer off of the yeast to a keg then added the coffee to the brew while transferring to do a natural stir. As far as sanitation goes: 1. a RIS should have enough alcohol to overcome anything in your tap water or coffee; 2. If you want to be sure (as I did) boil the water and a mason jar big enough to do the cold steeping in. Fill the jar with however much water you need plus a little more to account for expansion, close the lid and let it cool to room temp. Then you can open the sealed jar and add the coffee and steep for a day. This process will take you 1 1/2 days to do so it'll buy your stout a little extra time to clarify.

Cold brewed coffee is absolutely the way to go!

Back