Adding coffee to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had good results just crushing it up lightly with a rolling pin (or in a blender) and adding it directly to the primary (or secondary) after fermentation. Let it sit for one to two days, then package.

I’ve heard other people have had good results adding cold brew or espresso shots directly to kegs.

I 2nd cold brew additions.
Meassure a small amount of coffee in a beer sample to taste and calculate for the batch size.
You can always put in more but you can't take it out.

I found the best way for me was to do it the way the brewery (that I used to work for) did it.

After primary fermentation is complete and just before bottling...
1) take a 1/3 of the beer and transfer it on top of a mesh bag of fresh ground coffee (I usually do this in the bottling bucket).
2) Let it sit for 48 hours.
3) Remove the coffee bag.
4) Then transfer the remaining volume of beer to the bottling bucket to recombine it.
5) Bottle as usual.

Note:
A) If you are kegging then do all of the above in a keg.
B) if you have the means, cover with a blanket of co2.

I did cold brew added at packaging, added it to the bottling bucket.

This link did not lead anywhere except an ad to subscribe.

Sorry..

Cold Brewing Coffee
Like the opinions on which variety of coffee is best, the recipes you will find for making cold brewed coffee are just as varied, but here is the simple method that works for me:

1. Measure out 1.5 cups/355 mL (approximately 4.25 oz. by weight or 120 grams) of the whole bean coffee of your choice and give it a coarse grind (if you grind it too fine, you’ll have trouble filtering it out later).

2. In a 1-quart or 1-liter jar, add your coffee, and then fill the jar with good tasting, chlorine-free, room-temperature water. I recommend boiling the water ahead of time and allowing it to cool as this sanitizes it, removing anything that can later damage the beer.

3. Now cover your jar, give it a good shake to make sure the coffee and water are well incorporated. Let it
sit at room temperature for 24 to
48 hours.

4. Once step 3 is completed, it’s time to filter the grounds out of the cold brew coffee concentrate. The easiest way to do this is to first give it a bulk filter with a mesh kitchen sieve or strainer, and then give the resulting liquid a second fine filter by passing it through a paper coffee filter (a funnel lined with a paper towel or fine cheese cloth will work in a pinch). Strainers and filters can easily be sanitized by a dip in boiling water.

Filtering may take some time, but don’t rush it, your patience will be rewarded. This process will leave you with approximately 3 cups (0.75 L) of deep, dark, intensely flavored, almost syrup-like coffee concentrate that can then be diluted to taste with hot water or steamed milk for hot coffee, or cold water or cold milk for iced coffee . . . or, of course, added to your favorite batch of homebrew!

Got sent some Death Wish coffee from @RevKev a while back. Made a coffee Imperial stout. Ground then added to a French press with my favorite bourbon (Ezra Brooks) to extract the flavor, about 10min. Added the liquid prior to bottling. Best coffee Stout I've made. Trick is to add GOOD coffee and more then you think.

For the record I've tried adding to secondary in a tea ball. But this was way better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back