Adding cider to fermenting cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escher007

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have 3 gallons of unpasteurized pear/apple cider that i had fermented in a bucket. After racking it into 3 glass carboys, i realized one of the airlocks i had bought did not fit into the carboy. Argh... what to do.

I had considered putting all of it into a 5 gallon carboy and adding 2 more gallons of the cider that i had froze. The specific gravity seemed to indicate it was pretty much done fermenting, although i would imagine there is still yeast in the fermented batch.
My other alternative is to get a new bung, but i wont be able to get that in a few days. Thoughts?

In fact I would argue that cider ain't beer and there is absolutely no need for a bung and airlock during primary - active - fermentation. I ferment wines and ciders in buckets loosely covered with a towel ... When you rack to the secondary that's when you need an airlock...

Just put a plastic bag over the neck, hold it with some rubber bands until you can get another airlock. it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back