Adding Brett L to Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I brewed a hoppy saison back in July with all Amarillo hops and fermented it with 3711, then added Brett B to the secondary. It has been aging on the Brett B since. I sampled it just last week and it has dried out even more (1.06 down to 1.02), but it just doesn't seem to be developing the funky flavor I'm after. Maybe I'm being impatient and I do plan on letting it sit close to a year, but now I'm contemplating adding some Brett L to give it a little more of a sour flavor. Is it even worth adding at this point since the beer has already fermented down to 1.02? I plan to let it sit until July.

From what I understand, Brett B doesn't give a lot of sour flavor. I think it's more horsy/barnyard than anything. I'd say add the brett L!

Right. My concern is more whether or not adding Brett L at this point will do anything since it has already attenuated so much.

Brett can eat a lot of stuff that sacc cannot - you have ~ 80% real attenuation, meaning there is still a bit left for the brett to work on. Adding it should drop your gravity a little lower (perhaps to 0.996 - 0.998) and give a bit of brett funk. But as others said, do not expect sourness; in sours this mostly comes from bacteria like lactobacilus; brett adds other flavours.

Personally, I'd add it. But then, I like brett!

Bryan

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/understanding-brett-flavors-298943/

That thread should help clear up some stuff. When you talk brettanomyces flavors, most of the time you are talking about how they convert one type of phenol to another type of phenol.

I'd add Brett L. If you want more of a spicy/funky flavor instead of a cherry/funky flavor, then Brett B would be your beast.

Cheers!

I think you should go ahead and bottle it now as is. Refermentation under pressure in the bottle will help develop that brett funk you are looking for. And the beer will continue to develop in the bottle as it ages.

if the beer has already been on Brett B for 4-5 months, i don't think there will be much left (in terms of sacch by-products) for the Brett L to work on... so i suspect that this late in the game, adding Brett L will be a bit of a waste. if you have some sitting around - sure, go for it. i wouldn't go out anf buy some L just for this.

Back