Adding BJCP Style Water Profiles to Beersmith3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausofstrauss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got inspired a while back by a great article here on HomebrewTalk that broke down by BJCP beer style, the appropriate water profile.

I was quite happy that Beersmith3 had updated water profile tools. First is that you could match a target water profile. Second is that those water additions would automatically be added to your recipe. The only problem is that I wanted to go beyond the yellow malty, brown dry, etc basic profiles and add profiles customized for each BJCP beer style. In all, it was 72 water profiles that I extracted from that article and entering them in one by one was not something I was up for. I've worked out a method to edit the water.bsmx file directly and do it in a fraction of the time. I've got a post that shows how to do it and I've already done the work to have the information as cut & paste.

Edit: these are the old BJCP style numbers. I'll update within a week to the updated standards.

http://fermware.com/beersmith3-bjcp-water-profiles/

Last edited:
Thank you for the effort, I've applied your edit successfully and am marveling at the plethora of detailed water options now available.
All it needs is an entry for 21B :D

Cheers! :mug:

Thank you for the effort, I've applied your edit successfully and am marveling at the plethora of detailed water options now available.
All it needs is an entry for 21B :D

Cheers! :mug:

Ha, yea. There were a few others that were basically recommended from the water book to just go out on your own on the water profile, so I omitted them.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the instructions were clear enough.

It's a process. Click to the site, click on a download link, fill in credentials, wait for email, click again to get to the web site, click again on the download link, etc...

Cheers!

An astute reader noted that these are the old BJCP style numbers. I'll update within a week to the updated standards.
If you do update, PLEASE make a back up of your original water.bsmx file so that when i have the update, it will be easier.

It's a process. Click to the site, click on a download link, fill in credentials, wait for email, click again to get to the web site, click again on the download link, etc...

Cheers!
I'm working to make this more simple. When i didn't have authenticated downloads, i had some issues and had to go to the current method.

I'm working to make this more simple. When i didn't have authenticated downloads, i had some issues and had to go to the current method.
@hausofstrauss I received an email needing a DropBox login at the same time the download email arrived. User error on my part got me confused. It turns out the email and download process worked flawlessly. I look forward to your next update.

I knew there would be updates needed after the initial release of the water profiles for Beersmith3.

It was pointed out to me that the styles I used in the initial post were using the 2008 BJCP style guidelines. I've since completed a mini research project to map the 2008 numbers to the 2015 numbers and assign what I consider appropriate water profiles to the new styles.

I've made notes in the post on what my decision criteria was for the new styles. There are now two files that can be downloaded. One for 2008 BJCP styles and one for 2015 BJCP styles.

Same link as before:

http://fermware.com/beersmith3-bjcp-water-profiles/

Latest posts

Back