Adding Beer to Carbonated Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
Question: my secondary fermentation vessel is larger than my keg. I typically cold crash before kegging, then split my batch between the keg and a number of smaller vessels which sit in the back of my fridge until I finish off the keg (typically 2-3 weeks). These smaller vessels then are transferred to the keg for a 2nd batch of carbonated brew.

Since We only drink about half of the carbonated beer in the keg per weekend, I am wondering if I can "top up" the half-empty carbonated keg with uncarbonated beer on Sunday night, then let it re-carb over the week and have a full, carbonated keg on Friday

Has anybody added uncarbonated beer to a half-full carbonated keg? Any problem with doing this?

Personally, I'd just buy another keg, a 2.5 gallon sounds like it may work (and if you add a mini co2 system like with chargers they're great for taking to parties).

With that said, I don't think they'll be a problem provided you can keep oxygen out during the transfer. If you force/burst Carb, that may change how much pressure to put it on. I'd just set and forget if I was going to do this.

How I'd do it: Vent serving keg with prv, add the COLD beer via pressurized transfer and set to servong pressure. With it half full, I'd bet 1 week until ready to drink, maybe less.

Back