Adding ascorbic acid and Na meta bisulfite to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I did a search. Didn’t see any clear cut answers.

how much do you add to a 5 gal keg to preserve freshness?

FYI spunding is far superior for preventing oxidation, and has less risk of off flavors.

That said, you can use anywhere from 10-200ppm free SO2.
https://***************.com/wiki/Sulfite#Sulfite_at_Packaging

FYI spunding is far superior for preventing oxidation, and has less risk of off flavors.

Already spunding! So i guess I'm good.

It's interesting that the wiki say its not needed. There's other sources (e.g. brulosophy) that recommend it with every batch.

http://brulosophy.com/2019/02/11/po...at-packaging-has-on-beer-exbeeriment-results/
http://brulosophy.com/2020/04/06/im...b-have-on-beer-character-exbeeriment-results/
"I’ve been using sodium metabisulfite (SMB) when packaging my beer for well over a year now, it’s become a regular part of my process as I’ve found the results to be quite positive"

If I was going to shoot for 10 ppm for 5 gallons it would be:

18.9 L * 10 mg/ L * 1g/1000 mg = 0.189 g

right?

It's interesting that the wiki say its not needed. There's other sources (e.g. brulosophy) that recommend it with every batch.

http://brulosophy.com/2019/02/11/po...at-packaging-has-on-beer-exbeeriment-results/
http://brulosophy.com/2020/04/06/im...b-have-on-beer-character-exbeeriment-results/
"I’ve been using sodium metabisulfite (SMB) when packaging my beer for well over a year now, it’s become a regular part of my process as I’ve found the results to be quite positive"
The more you learn about brewing science, the more you realize brulosophy is really inept. Their experimental design is usually poor, their data collection method is poor, their statistical analysis is poor, etc.

If you're having any oxidation or shelf life issues, I'd suggest learning more about low oxygen brewing, and adopting the cold side practices at minimum. These methods are based on real brewing science and validated by numerous advanced home brewers. Since you're spunding you're already off to a great start!

If I was going to shoot for 10 ppm for 5 gallons it would be:

18.9 L * 10 mg/ L * 1g/1000 mg = 0.189 g

right?
Your calculations are correct except you're missing one piece:
It matters what product you're using.

Na-meta is 67% SO2 by weight
K-meta is 58% SO2 by weight

Again, adding sulfite at packaging is considered risky and has low reward is you're using appropriate cold-side methods.

The more you learn about brewing science, the more you realize brulosophy is really inept. Their experimental design is usually poor, their data collection method is poor, their statistical analysis is poor, etc.

If you're having any oxidation or shelf life issues, I'd suggest learning more about low oxygen brewing, and adopting the cold side practices at minimum. These methods are based on real brewing science and validated by numerous advanced home brewers. Since you're spunding you're already off to a great start!

Your calculations are correct except you're missing one piece:
It matters what product you're using.

Na-meta is 67% SO2 by weight
K-meta is 58% SO2 by weight

Again, adding sulfite at packaging is considered risky and has low reward is you're using appropriate cold-side methods.
I haven’t had any issues. Just looking to improve. Already pretty much do LODO most of the time, other than i do BIAB and lower bag in and can’t underlet the mash.

Well, based on what I know about the biochemistry, I'd say the spunding process is likely to be completely incompatible with adding sulfite at packaging because there's a huge risk of the yeast metabolizing it to hydrogen sulfide. You're welcome to try it if you don't mind risking a batch -- please report your results if you do.

Well, based on what I know about the biochemistry, I'd say the spunding process is likely to be completely incompatible with adding sulfite at packaging because there's a huge risk of the yeast metabolizing it to hydrogen sulfide. You're welcome to try it if you don't mind risking a batch -- please report your results if you do.
I’ve done it once before (~30 ppm). No one tasted rotten eggs. But... that’s like n=5? I guess probably not worth it thought. Shouldn’t try to fix a problem i don’t have.

Adding campden/sulfites during racking to secondary is pretty common with wine, especially when bulk aging? People even add to get rid of chlorine/chloramine prior to fermentation? 1 tablet per 20 gallons or 0.25 tabs per 5 gallons. I’m not doing math but that has to be be like 10-20ppb? 0.1g ?

it can be done, and is done. you just need to be careful, only use as much as it takes to extend that shelf life. it is somewhat incompatible with spunding, as you dont have an easy way to add it to the beer if its already carbed. but if you're force carbing, you just add it while you transfer. dont overdo it and you'll be fine.

although i would have to point out, that its much easier (in my opinion) to avoid spunding - which is just not friendly to dry hopped beers-- and simply purge the hell out of your keg, transfer your crashed/cleared/brite beer into the keg with dextrose and either CBC or F2 conditioning yeasts. (put the yeast and sugars in first so they have time to wake up) they'll scavenge the hell out of any o2, give you nice smooth carbonation, and can also stop residual fermentation by certain yeasts like saison, wlp644, s04, etc that can eat "nonfermentable" sugars. your first pour has a bit of yeast at the bottom, but after that its pretty clear. those two yeasts are bred to drop hard and compact.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? Reading up on sulfide definitely gets me nervous, but wiki just mentions it being formed from sulfate and sulfite. I add sulfate (like pretty much everyone) plus I use sulfite for both dechlorination and another small amount combined with ascorbic acid at bottling time. I don't spund, but I bottle condition. Would love to make sure to avoid this phenomenon if it's a threat. Thanks!

Back