Adding a valve and rack adapter to glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMckeever

Reaction score
Is this possible or has anyone done it? I recently purchased a BB with the valve and racking adapter and love it. Im not sure if the glass would hold up to being cut though..... any thoughts?

With the proper tools, holes can certainly be cut in glass. I would check with a window/glass shop in your area. They would probably do it for a few bucks.

You can buy a drill bit specifically for glass, if you're comfortable enough putting a carboy on the line. I don't know how you'd fit the valve/adapter (washers, etc.?) to the carboy without being able to gain access to the inside. Do you have pics of the BB setup?

I would not do it...you'll weaken the structure of the carboy and that is not a good thing...

...and when your done, you'll shoot your eye out, err, I mean slash a tendon when you attempt to move it full.

Don't do it.

My $0.02.

I would not do it...you'll weaken the structure of the carboy and that is not a good thing...

...and when your done, you'll shoot your eye out, err, I mean slash a tendon when you attempt to move it full.

Don't do it.

My $0.02.

I agree 100%. It is not like cutting a hole in a window that is not under stress. The bottle is holding a good bit of weight that is moving. Lotsa stress.

An egg is only strong until you put a nick or hole in it, then it crushes easily.

Back