Adding a second gas line to a Edgestar KC2000TWIN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumboag

Reaction score
I've got a dual tap edgestar kegerator and because of the beers I'll have on tap this fall, have a need to have one tap CO2 fed and the other Beergas fed. There's only a hole for a single gas line through the back of the unit.

Wondering if anybody's safely drilled a second hole in this unit? If so, where'd you drill. I'm thinking maybe just above where the existing hole is, but want to make sure there's nothing freon or electrical related that I'll shred if I drill there.

I believe I have one of these at my office. If not I can find out from the manufacture. Call me tomorrow and I will get an answer for you. Our number is 325-748-5800. You can also email me at [email protected] I am fairly sure you could drill a hole next to the existing hole or enlarge that hole, but I want to make sure before you take a drill to your fridge.
Todd

So, realizing it's been a long while since this post, I'm wondering if you had any feedback on doing this. I am looking at the same thing. I thought about doing a second hole near the first, but I'd have to remove the metal shield on the back and haven't tried yet.

Thanks!

I have this kegerator as well and am curious about where it would be safe to drill for future reference. I was just barely able to feed a power line for a fan to cool the tower through the opening for the gas line. If I ever want to run anything else in, I'll need to drill somewhere.

I suspect it would be safe to drill next to the existing hole since the unit uses the plate in the rear interior for cooling and the line from the compressor doesn't appear to go near the existing hole. Probably just some insulation to drill through.

I guess I'll revive this again since I'm trying to do exactly this. Here's a photo of how it comes stock. It looks like I should be able to drill another hole above the existing one. Isn't that metal cold plate the only working parts of the fridge in that area? Then I just need to find that grommet with the rubber plug to seal it up when not in use.

gasline.jpg

If anyone else is trying to do this, this is what I ended up doing. First get a 1 3/8" step drill and two 1 3/8" access hole plugs. This is what I used:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3Q6KOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.steelerubber.com/access-hole-plug-35-0517-45

Opening up the hole in the back is easy but the inside is tricky because of the refrigerant tube. I removed the top two screws and loosed the bottom two in the cold plate. That let me pull it out enough to get the step drill behind it. Once you get the hole all the way open, move the drill around inside the hole a bit to clear out some insulation around the edge for the grommet to go into.

I used 1/4" ID and 1/2" OD gas tubing because it's pretty tight. I drilled two holes in the grommets and ran the tubing through that. It was a bit of struggle to get it together but eventually I got it.

IMG_2518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was looking to do this but the back of mine looks different than yours jca. It almost looks as if it were MADE to add additional holes to it.
I called Edgestar and they emphatically said don't do it.. likely just to cover their asses. Look safe to you?

Selection_003.png

I have the same fridge and I'm hoping to drill a second gasline right below the first.

Can confirm, this works. I have a BR2001BL and I was able to drill a 7/8" line and plug it w/ a plastic grommit that was 1/2" thick. I can post pics / links if anyone is interested.

Can confirm, this works. I have a BR2001BL and I was able to drill a 7/8" line and plug it w/ a plastic grommit that was 1/2" thick. I can post pics / links if anyone is interested.

Was your back like jca's or mine? I still havn't had the stones to drill another hole yet..

Mine was very similar to yours, it had that open area that looked like it was made for a second hole. I've attached a pic of the front / back for yah. I drilled a 7/8" hole and filled the gap with a plastic grommet found in the electrical section at Home Depot.

Back:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6e01yg6znshki7/photo%20sep%2023%2C%208%2019%2051%20pm.jpg?dl=0

Front:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg597jwakjt549l/photo%20sep%2027%2C%203%2057%2044%20pm.jpg?dl=0

Awesome thanks! Now I know I won't wreck it ... well, that is it can be done without wrecking it! :)

Just to add some confirmation to this, I did this to a BR2001BL/SS which is the Edgestar unit sold as a KC2000 from kegerator.com. I figured I 'd give this a shot as after a while I decided I wanted a second faucet in my tower.

I bought a good quality hole saw, a Milwaukee Shockwave 7/8" from Home Depot. This hole saw has fine teeth for a smoother cut in thin materials.

I also had some of the black putty like stuff electricians use, duct seal, for the hole. I decided I didn't want to go big enough to fit a grommet.

I drilled approx 1.75" directly below the hole that was already in the unit.

Being paranoid, I started from the outside and used a small pilot bit. Once I was through the metal on the back I basically was able to push the bit in until I hit the back of the interior wall. Basically, the only thing there was insulation. I cut the hole with no problems, from the back as far as I could, then from inside the unit to finish it. Smoothed the hole down a bit and then ran my 2nd air line and my tower cooler power cord. I sealed the hole with the duct seal. I also sealed the OEM hose with duct seal as on my unit at least, it wasn't an air tight seal.

I had also asked this from Edgestar and they told me they wouldn't support the warranty on the unit. I could see if I cut into a refrigerant line, but that would be 100% on me and I wouldn't try to warrant the unit in any event. Then the Edgestar rep suggest I search the forums.....:)

Looking through their website, it looks like their two line unit is the same as the BR2001, just with the extra hole.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating this. As always, ymmv.

Just to add some confirmation to this, I did this to a BR2001BL/SS which is the Edgestar unit sold as a KC2000 from kegerator.com. I figured I 'd give this a shot as after a while I decided I wanted a second faucet in my tower.

I bought a good quality hole saw, a Milwaukee Shockwave 7/8" from Home Depot. This hole saw has fine teeth for a smoother cut in thin materials.

I also had some of the black putty like stuff electricians use, duct seal, for the hole. I decided I didn't want to go big enough to fit a grommet.

I drilled approx 1.75" directly below the hole that was already in the unit.

Being paranoid, I started from the outside and used a small pilot bit. Once I was through the metal on the back I basically was able to push the bit in until I hit the back of the interior wall. Basically, the only thing there was insulation. I cut the hole with no problems, from the back as far as I could, then from inside the unit to finish it. Smoothed the hole down a bit and then ran my 2nd air line and my tower cooler power cord. I sealed the hole with the duct seal. I also sealed the OEM hose with duct seal as on my unit at least, it wasn't an air tight seal.

I had also asked this from Edgestar and they told me they wouldn't support the warranty on the unit. I could see if I cut into a refrigerant line, but that would be 100% on me and I wouldn't try to warrant the unit in any event. Then the Edgestar rep suggest I search the forums.....:)

Looking through their website, it looks like their two line unit is the same as the BR2001, just with the extra hole.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating this. As always, ymmv.

I would like to do the same thing. Can you send/post a picture?

So I was looking to do this but the back of mine looks different than yours jca. It almost looks as if it were MADE to add additional holes to it.
I called Edgestar and they emphatically said don't do it.. likely just to cover their asses. Look safe to you?

View attachment 278392

The inside rear of my Edgestar KC2000TWIN looks just like NineTwoOh's. Can anyone confirm, preferably with pictures, that it's safe to drill below the pre-existing hole?

Another idea I had would be to run a gas line from the CO2 tank in the back through the pre-exiting hole to a regulator inside the kegerator. My only concern would be where to get a hose safe enough to contain the CO2 tank pressure before it gets to the regulator.

Does anyone know if and where the refrigerant lines run through the Edgestar KC2000 refrigerator? I'm interested adding a hole on the top right side panel.

Does anyone know if and where the refrigerant lines run through the Edgestar KC2000 refrigerator? I'm interested adding a hole on the top right side panel.

Looks like this thread is pretty slow.
I am planning the same thing and everything I have read indicates that area where the factory hole is, is just insulation. Seems the cabinet was designed with the optional area to add another pass-thru. That area that is surrounded by the cooling plate on the back.
Now the question is what to use as the fitting for the hole. I did find on the Danby site CO2 hose bushing. I could not find anything specific for the edgestar brand. The Danby DKC054A9SLDB seems to be a sister kegerator.
I did see on this forum a fitting that will seal the bulked, but you'd have to buy barbed nipples to put on both ends.

Back