adding a drip tray with drain to bar? Clearance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrupjr

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a new bar in my house. I want to add a drip tray with a drain for my keg.

How do I make this happen if the tap is directly above the keg fridge. I do not see how there will be enough room under the granite counter to run a drain if the keg fridge basically comes up to the bottom of the granite? There won't be enough clearance for a drain, right?

I plan to have the line run to my sink drain under that cabinet but concerned about the clearance above the fridge.

What am i missing?

You'll need enough room for a 1/2 pipe or tube, as well as clearance for the drain fitting and a 90 bend. You might be able to cut a hole in the top of the fridge to accommodate the piping. Or you may want to reconsider the need for a drain. If you're worried about an overfill and the spillover from that, or containing the drips from a closed tap, you really don't need a drain. You can just lift out the grate and clean up that little bit of spillage with a towel. If you think you'll accidentally leave a tap open, then you'll need a drain. I have a drip tray under four taps without a drain. And I just wipe it down when I drip, and wash it out about once a month.

Back