Adding a beer kit to a conical fermentor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpd1009

Reaction score
Ive recently changed to a conical fermentor from the basic coopers setup.
I am scratching my head over adding the brew kit to the fermentor without much of the syrup lodging in the sump and not being mixed properly.
Thoughts?

Maybe it's time to get away from "no boil" kits. In the meantime, you could dissolve the Coopers extract in heated water (pastuerizing while you're at it), then cool and add that to the fermenter.

I am scratching my head over adding the brew kit to the fermentor without much of the syrup lodging in the sump and not being mixed properly.
Thoughts?
Like @VikeMan suggested, dissolve the extract in a side pot.

Also, if one is adding DME/LME/honey/brewers crystals/candy sugar/... over a boiling kettle and not getting good results, the same approach (dissolve in a side pot first) can be used to prevent clumping, sticky packages, scorching, ...

Thanks everyone. Ive settled for a side mix of all the syrup and powder then add to the fermentor.

Ive settled for a side mix
There have been a number of replies, in other topics, where posters note that this technique (dissolving in second container) is recommended by at least one of the malt extract providers.

Maybe the technique is a "best practice" that's not yet well known in home brewing forums.

Thanks everyone. Ive settled for a side mix of all the syrup and powder then add to the fermentor.
If that powder includes dry malt extract, I'd recommend dissolving it in unheated water. Adding DME to hot water creates a sticky cloud and, in my experience, more clumping. It doesn't take a lot of water. It could still be added to the heated water with the liquid malt extract/kit to pasteurize it.

Last edited:
Ive taken to mixing and heating the dry and syrup in water and pop that in the fermentor.

Back