Adding 120V to blichmann G2 kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of threads on HBT and various articles elsewhere on moving to electric brewing. I want to add the ability to do electric brewing mainly for weather purposes (Chicagoland, nasty winters, but also not fun to sit around a flame when it’s 96 with 100% humidity).

Currently have a spot in my basement that is under a window and near a 120v, 15 amp outlet and also near the electrical panel.

I have the G2 kettle. Have looked at 120v BoilCoil setup, which would come out to about $700 and the HotRod heat stick.

I would prefer to stick with 120v option, but can go to 240v if it is worth going up. Also, I do all grain with a very rare extract brew.

Anyone able to provide some insight as to what my best options are? (Only going to be heating water and doing boils, not a fully automated system)

I would check, but I think that a 15amp outlet is too small for a boilcoil. If I remember correctly, the 10 gallon version needs 20amps

I would check, but I think that a 15amp outlet is too small for a boilcoil. If I remember correctly, the 10 gallon version needs 20amps

just checked and you are correct. I can make that change if I go that route

I upgraded last year and never expected to go Blichmann, but when they came out with the Brew Commander, it was a fit for my existing 240v 20 amp circuit in the garage.

So, I went from a 240v induction burner to a new system with the 10 gal 240v kettle w/boil coil 3750w and the Brew Comnander, plus a Riptide pump, for my single vessel eBIAB brewing. I'm so pleased with the new setup and the programmable controller makes for stress free brew days. With the ULWD boil coil my brew bag can rest right on the coils and not get scorched during mash.

You'd be better off with 240v if you can get away with it. The higher wattage elements will bring you to boil much faster. I've got two of the 240v 10 gallon Boil Coils and love them.

EDIT: added some helpful info from the boil coil website

Ramp Rate in °F/minute = 0.0068 X Watts / gallons

120v @ 2250 W -> ~2.50 degrees per minute rise in 6 gallons of wort
240v @ 3750 W -> ~4.25 degrees per minute rise in 6 gallons of wort

Also, what Cato1507 said x1000. You can't beat <30 W/in^2 on the Boil Coils.

Last edited:
Back