added the wrong carapils, am i ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munkee915

Reaction score
brewing a pumpkin ale, here is the grain bill

3.5 lb pumpkin
8lb golden promise
1lb caramalt
1lb torrified wheat
1lb rice hulls

i couldnt get golden promise so i got maris otter instead. I couldnt get caramalt but read carapils was a good sub, but i ordered the wrong kind i think (dextrin malt) and its already mixed into the grain bill. I was thinking i could go back and get 1lb of crystal 10 to make up for the caramalt but what effect will the carapils have on the brew?

carapils = dextrine, at least, according to the grains section of beersmith, so you should be good

and maybe someone could correct me, but GP & MO are both 2-row, but GP is from a Scottish maltster, while MO is English.

both would make an awesome pumpkin ale. I'm using MO in mine

brewing a pumpkin ale, here is the grain bill

3.5 lb pumpkin
8lb golden promise
1lb caramalt
1lb torrified wheat
1lb rice hulls

i couldnt get golden promise so i got maris otter instead. I couldnt get caramalt but read carapils was a good sub, but i ordered the wrong kind i think (dextrine malt) and its already mixed into the grain bill. I was thinking i could go back and get 1lb of crystal 10 to make up for the caramalt but what effect will the carapils have on the brew?
Carapils is dextrine malt:) Caramalt is a pretty general term for any sort of crystal/caramel malt. Many are somewhat interchangeable, or should I say what they add can be indiscernible in some cases. The biggest difference you will see will be the Golden Promise sub to Maris Otter. They are both great base malts but provide completely different flavor profiles. Maris will lend bisquit, nutty malty flavor and will yeild a slightly darker malt. Golden promise can be a bit sweeter and definitely lighter, not so much biscuit and no nuttiness at all.

I've read that maris otter and golden promise are pretty much interchangeable, but with GP being a little sweeter. I can always add in the 1lb of crystal 10. Im just wondering what effect the 1lb of carapils will have on the overall brew.

and maybe someone could correct me, but GP & MO are both 2-row, but GP is from a Scottish maltster, while MO is English.

Golden Promise and Maris Otter are varieties of barley. I'm not sure GP is any sweeter than MO, but it does lack its characteristic nutty character, which makes it somewhat more useful for non-English styles. I've used it in a very nice Dubbel.

Back