Added Sorbate and Sugar at Same Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
Didn't read close enough ahead of time, so I figured I would add the potassium sorbate and tamarind concentrate to the keg at the same time and then shake it up well. Any danger in doing? I assume it might mean the fermentation could restart. Any other concern?

The sorbate should keep any remaining yeast from reproducing. However ever just liked a neutered dog they still need to eat, and will. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. When I popped one open (flip tops) being concerned about possible carbonation, it hissed a bit.

Ok. I should be fine, then. It will be in a keg in a refrigerator.

It's fine to stabilize and sweeten at the same time.

Generally you should always use sulfite as well, otherwise you risk nasty off flavors from bacteria.

I can still add metabisulfite, if suggested. Would that not produce a sulphur smell/taste? If I do add it, how much (3 gallon batch) and how long should I leave it before carbonating/drinking?

Around 20-40ppm is probably fine (1-2 crushed Campden tablets; go toward the lower end if you're planning to drink it within a couple months). You won't taste it.

Go ahead and carbonate. It'll be OK to drink pretty rapidly after the powder dissolves.

I admit I wasn't planning to age it at all. I'm a bit impatient at times. Plus it's occupying my only keg. Would you still recommend the bisulfite if it's only going to be around for about 2 weeks?

Back