added priming sugar dry to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
So anyways the title pretty much explains what happened....I make wine and have recently been getting into the beer scene....for some reason or another I forgot to turn my priming sugar into solution before adding it to the bottling bucket. I just poured the bag of sugar straight into the bucket, racked the beer into the bucket and stirred it up a bit with a paddle. After bottling I did not see any sugar or anything left at the bottom of the bucket.... I made a darn mistake....do you think it will still carb???

If you didn't see any remnants of sugar, then it dissolved and chances are you will be OK. But it was not sterilized and you risk the chance of an infection. But as long as it dissolved, I'm betting you'll be OK.

But I'm also a newbie and have only brewed beer, no wine. So take it for what it's worth.

k thanks, I just got in a mad hurry and forgot to put it into solution. I guess we will see in a couple weeks right.

one time i added corn sugar without boiling in water because i was in a hurry and wasn't giving a ****. that was the only time i've ever had a bottle infection in every bottle. totally ruined the batch.

how did you know that it was bad? did it just taste bad or was there stuff growing on it? Don't most bacteria need oxygen to thrive? Was your "infected" batch a kit or just a recipe you threw together? Sometimes batches just don't turn out as good as others, it doesn't neccesarily mean you have an infection. As of now I am not seeing any visual signs of an infection in the bottles. I have to wait about another week before I can open one and give it a taste.

how did you know that it was bad? did it just taste bad or was there stuff growing on it? Don't most bacteria need oxygen to thrive? Was your "infected" batch a kit or just a recipe you threw together? Sometimes batches just don't turn out as good as others, it doesn't neccesarily mean you have an infection. As of now I am not seeing any visual signs of an infection in the bottles. I have to wait about another week before I can open one and give it a taste.
i have developed a pretty good sense of what a -- or at least my --bottle infections taste like, so i feel pretty confident about the problem, although you are right - i can't say for sure that the infection was from the dry priming sugar, or from another source. this batch did have the ol' ring around the collar.

i wasn't dooming your batch, just sharing my experience.

okay, I don't have any rings around the collar or anything, I value your opinion I just wanted to know if you had visual signs or if it was a smell and taste thing so I could compare it to my batch, no worries. Thanks for your input.

Dry sugar would create an infection? I am skeptical of that, especially since Mr. Beer's process has you add dry sugar directly to the bottles. If it caused infections I think there would be tons of complaints about it by Mr Beer brewers on here.

Infectious things need food,air & moisture to survive & multiply. Dry sugar isn't generally a very hospitible environment.

the reason corn sugar is so popular is because it dissolves more readily with no water compared with standard table sugar. it once was standard instruction to add it dry.

okay, thanks guys I will try one here in a week or so and let you know how it turns out. This beer is very clear and looks really nice. Its a summer ale!

well the beer turned out just fine, the addition of the sugar dry didn't seem to have any negative impacts on flavor. It also did not infect the beer with anything nasty.

Back