Added hops during steeping instead of boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43North

43 Degrees North
Reaction score
In the middle of brewing a Japanese rice lager and the directions were so bad that I accidentally added my 1/2 ounce of chinook hops during the 60 min steeping instead of the beginning of my 60 minute boil. How’s this going to affect the taste of my beer. I hate the taste of hops could this cause it to be too bitter?

No, it won't be any more bitter than just a 60' boil.
The steeping may actually have helped making it taste less bitter (or better said, a smoother bitterness), similar to a FWH (First Wort Hop).

So relax... and keep an eye on those ferm temps, those are important!

Congratulations, you've used first wort hops!

FWH have been found by testing to provide ~10% more IBUs than a 60m boil. That said, some brewers report a softer perceived bitterness. Those brewers often figure the amount of FWH as if it's a 20m addition.

I use FWH regularly. They're a great boilover prevention and I push my preboil volumes to the max.

The steeping may actually have helped making it taste less bitter (or better said, a smoother bitterness), similar to a FWH (First Wort Hop).

Oh you are the master thank you so much. This is why I support homebrewtalk.com.

This has been the First sigh of relief I’ve had in 45 minutes

In the middle of brewing a Japanese rice lager and the directions were so bad that I accidentally added my 1/2 ounce of chinook hops during the 60 min steeping instead of the beginning of my 60 minute boil. How’s this going to affect the taste of my beer. I hate the taste of hops could this cause it to be too bitter?
If you hate the taste of hops chinook may not have been the best choice for this beer. I'd have gone with German magnum as they have a similar AA %, but a much milder bitterness.

Yeah this seems more of a mash hopping than first wort hopping. You shouldn't expect to get a lot of bitterness out of it and may find the beer is too sweet.

Chinook is definitely an odd pick for a lager.

Back