Added Harvested Nottingham to Mr. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietandsimple

Reaction score
I've had a 2 gallon batch of Mr. Beer that someone dug up from a closet quietly fermenting in a cabinet. I watched it do it's weak original fermentation thing with the supplied Mr Beer yeast, but I wasn't happy with it, so I decided to add alittle Harvested Notty to it. I wonder if it will do anything. I seriously doubt that it will hurt anything.

I probably only added about half an ounce of yeast suspension. Something tells me that this yeast is Super StormTrooper Assault Shock Troop yeast, though. It ripped through an oatmeal stout with an OG of 1.070 with three days of wild massive krauzen formation, and was still getting bubbles every thirty seconds five days later. If it goes crazy I'll just have to vent Mr Beer so he doesn't explode.

I remember reading somewhere on here that you're only supposed to pitch up in gravity with your harvested yeast, but being me I ignored that since I believe that yeast is hardy stuff and will sort itself out. Thoughts, opinions, accusations, suspicions?

I use a few Mr. Beers too since they fit so nicely on the shelf. Have never used their yeast though. What were you not happy about with the initial fermentation?

I typically (as in always, I guess) brew big beers. OG 1.06-1.09 and use Nottingham, so I'm used to amazingly wild ferments. I saw alittle fermentation happen with the Mr Beer, but not alot. If there was any really active period, then I missed it. The only indication of any krauzen formation was a very thin line marked an eighth of an inch above the level of the wort after three days. I've never used one of these things before and I know that the yeast had to be pretty old so perhaps not so viable. This whole kit was a closet ressurection, Necrobeer?

Perhaps nothing was wrong with the yeast, but I'm not expecting much out of the kit, and wanted to experiment with it. (I'm not bashing Mr Beer, I just am used to very dark malty brews so no flaming at me.)

Latest posts

Back