Add sugar to my lager kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black-knight29

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to homebrewing and I am about to start the hombrewing. On my lager kit can, it tells me to add 1kg of sugar but I am following a book which is "Hombrewing for dummies" and it says not to add sugar. Which should I follow? What would be the dfference between adding sugar or not? Thanks

Stick with the malt. Once I bought some corn sugar from the beer store and added about a pound to my favorite Pale recipe. I was going for a little bit higher ALC content, but what I ended up with was beer with a strong hint of sour apple. The guy at the beer store told me that would happen. Good news is that even bad beer is still beer. So from my expierence, I will stick to malt.

It depends a bit on the kit though. Some of the kits I've seen have defo been a no-boil one, yet howtobrew.com mentions that.
Muntons for example mention that you can use malt and/or sugar for fermentation though. In fact they actually state that they encourage you to experiment! :)

Back