Add me to the all grain brewers list.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatchinZs

Reaction score
It went pretty well.

I ended up mashing in at 153.5 and final mash was 149.5.
I preheated the tun but I was doing a 5 gallon mash in a 10 gallon cooler but I didn't deal with the air space above the grain. I think that cause the swing in temp.

I sparged with 168 water because the water was at temp before I was ready and cooled a bit by the time I needed it but I didn't think a degree or two would hurt.

My OG was off by about 8 points. I ended up with 1.040 instead of 1.048.
I'm chalking that up to the sparge temp but I the grain was precrushed so I'm not sure if that may have effected it.

All in all, it went well and I learned a few lessons.

Good for you! That wasn't so hard, was it?

Personally, I have a hard time believing I ever made beer any other way. Anyhow, congrats on making the jump. Tasting this batch will be just as exciting as the very first batch you ever made.

Way to go dude, this will be the best beer you ever made Im sure, good luck in the future and welcome to the ag club.:rockin:

Cool! :tank:

I used to get 4-6 degree drops in my cooler due to the hollow lid. I drilled some holes and filled it with spray foam insulation, now the loss is down to 2 degrees per hour.

- Eric

What kind of cooler are you using?

Happily bubbling away as of 7 AM.

I have to admit that I took a lot of temperature readings just to keep a handle on things so the temp swing could also be due to my curiosity.

The probe I'm using isn't very long either so the delta in temps may not be as high as my numbers indicate.

Congrats on getting the first AG in the books.

A poor crush is the most likely culprit for your poor efficiency.

Back