Add DME to fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith92

Reaction score
I made a british bitter last night. I did a full boil (around 7gal) and it boiled off to about 5gal. My sg should've been 1.035 but only hit 1.030

It's already fermenting but i'm wondering if i could add anything to the fermenter to help raise the gravity?

Sure can. DME will yield ~ 40 gravity points per pound per gallon. So dissolve .7 pounds on DME in water. Boil for 10-15 minutes, cool it in a ice water bath and pour it in. Even if you beer is past active fermentation there will be more then enough yeast to ferment the extra DME.

with extract brewing if you add the right of extract to water the gravity will be correct

it is hard to get a good mix with extract and it will throw off your numbers

but if you feel the need to add some DME to your wort/beer by all means you can

take whatever the amount you want to add boil it for 10 - 15 minutes in water

then add it you only need enough water to dissolve it

all the best

S_M

Almost always: LEAVING THE BEER ALONE is the best policy.

That said, step fermentation is a tried and true process.

It is difficult or impossible to determine FG or re-create the recipe at a later time, but it will work just fine.

I have done it a few times with good results.

46 ppg for 1Lb table sugar/5 gallon =9.2points increase in gravity per pound of sugar added to 5gallons.

44ppg for Light DME so 44/5= 8.8 points added for each pound into 5 gallons.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Sure can. DME will yield ~ 40 gravity points per pound per gallon. So dissolve .7 pounds on DME in water. Boil for 10-15 minutes, cool it in a ice water bath and pour it in. Even if you beer is past active fermentation there will be more then enough yeast to ferment the extra DME.

I think I should try to add some. Otherwise I'll get around a 2.6 % beer.

So, .7 DME in 1gal water. boil. chill and add. should put the final around 3.2% don't you think?

or does the extra 1gal of water change all that?

So, .7 DME in 1gal water. boil. chill and add. should put the final around 3.2% don't you think?

Boil the DME in as little water as possible otherwise you will dilute your beer and not gain the full extra gravity points you want. Seven tenths of a pound would easily dissolve in two cups of water. Remember to remove the boiling water from the heat before you add the DME. This does not need to be a super vigorous boil after you add the DME.

The gallon measurement mentioned is the points per gallon that one pound of DME would equal.

The extra gallon of water will change the specific gravity if you don't take that into account but the unhopped wort you'll be pouring in will change your bittering much more. Best bet is to just leave it alone and let it finish. Any time you muck with the beer after boil is a chance to add contamination.

with extract brewing if you add the right of extract to water the gravity will be correct

Almost always: LEAVING THE BEER ALONE is the best policy.

listen to these guys

if yours is an ALL EXTRACT batch, as long as you hit your volume, YOU ARE GUARANTEED to have the correct OG. there are not many absolutes in this hobby/obsession, but the amount of sugars in a known amount of extract is one of them

you have experienced what is called, "STRATIFICATION." it is the incomplete mixing of extract and water. your higher gravity extract & water is sitting at the bottom of the fermenter and you took your reading from the lower gravity extract & water from the top of your fermenter.

the yeast will correct your APPARENT mistake.

you WILL GET your 3.2% beer

As a NOOB, I had the IRRESISTABLE urge to eff with my fermenting beer.......be better than I was.

Once it is fermenting, changing things just makes it hard to learn ANYTHING from what you just brewed!!!!

What is the OFF flavor from?

Who the hell knows! Maybe it was off from the start!

Maybe it was infected when you opened the fermenter and dumped in more wort, maybe there was a little dish soap in the pot you boiled the extra DME in, maybe it is because you aerated when you added more wort, maybe it is because you didn't aerate again.

It will be impossible to learn anything.......except maybe:"Leave it alone, RAHAHB"

While I do agree that there is no need to add anything at this point, you most certainly can add sugar throughout fermentation. In order to make the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA they add sugar many times in order to get the ABV to 15-20%, as well as additional high ABV yeast.

As stated, you won't be able to easily duplicate it, but if you keep records, you certainly can get close by doing the same additions in future batches. You may want to experiment, that's where the fun in home brewing is, so even if you can't duplicate it you will enjoy the process and that's what it is really about.

My mistake, I wasn't clear enough. You only need to add enough water to dissolve the DME.

Another poster pointed out that the PPG rate for DME can range from 40-46 so you may want a little less then .7

As yet another poster mentioned you could also have an issue with stratification and could be just fine as is

The point is that what ever you decide to do RDWHAHB. You will have beer either way.

Just be sure and practice excellent sanitation.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks everybody. Well, I think I'll just relax and leave it alone :)

But the dogfish comment has caught my curiosity.

I don't think this profile would benefit from adding sugar but I'd like to "kick up" other beers in the future.

Latest posts

Back