Add Citrus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostymug

Reaction score
Question. I have a white IPA that is a little wheaty and thought before I bottle I would like to add some tangerine or zest or something. I have never done that so not sure if I can do this now that the beer has finished or how. I appreciate your response.

Just did this for a cutie porter. Zested six cuties after scrubbing to get wax off. Put zest in 4 oz mason jar. Cover w vodka. Put on counter and shake every day. Strain after two weeks or so. Add as needed. I’ve been adding on a per glass basis as haven’t got around to adding to keg. I’m using about 1-1.2 cc per pint. Used a syringe to measure out. Will extrapolate out and add to the keg one of these days. But I keg and sounds like your bottling.

Put the zest in some vodka (just enough to cover), and add when packaging. The vodka will sanitize the zest, but it will also extract more of the oils that you are looking for faster than the beer.

More time is better.

For this very reason I have some orange zest and some grapefruit sitting in vodka, waiting for brews to use them in.

Just did this for a cutie porter. Zested six cuties after scrubbing to get wax off. Put zest in 4 oz mason jar. Cover w vodka. Put on counter and shake every day. Strain after two weeks or so. Add as needed. I’ve been adding on a per glass basis as haven’t got around to adding to keg. I’m using about 1-1.2 cc per pint. Used a syringe to measure out. Will extrapolate out and add to the keg one of these days. But I keg and sounds like your bottling.

Yep I’m not quite legging yet. However I think your idea is really cool. Think I may try that also for all my beers and let the end user decide. Kind of cool. Thanks for the idea.

Put the zest in some vodka (just enough to cover), and add when packaging. The vodka will sanitize the zest, but it will also extract more of the oils that you are looking for faster than the beer.

More time is better.

For this very reason I have some orange zest and some grapefruit sitting in vodka, waiting for brews to use them in.

Awesome I am starting that today. When you say enough to cover you mean cover the bottom of the mason jar and fill the rest with vodka

Essential oil also works great, plus it makes it healthier... lol

I use orange and cinnamon oil regularly

Essential oil also works great, plus it makes it healthier... lol

I use orange and cinnamon oil regularly

Wow had no idea. My wife has that stuff everywhere in the house . I will try it. You just put a few drops in a beer?

I put 3 drops of orange into a 16 oz blue moon. I did a brew using 30 drops into primary after fermentation and it was good

Now cinnamon is really strong, 10-15 drops in a 5 gallon batch is enough

Plus these oils don’t ferment out

Second the best infusions.

I regularly make my own liqour infusion so have plenty of mason jars ranging from 150ml-1L, and almost always have a small one of zests for my beer since I love citrusy beer.

If you are in a time restraint though lemon or orange extract from the grocery store is suprisingly good (can tell the difference depending on the vodka/neutral used for your zest infusion but not by a lot).

Most grocery stores sell extract oils that a very concentrated and easy to use. Just adds a few drops. No need to go through all of the steps you would with zest. You can find them near the spices.

You can use rinds in the boil. I've done Citrus rinds baked in a low heat oven and then added towards the end of the boil. Works well enough for what I needed it for.

Back