Add Chinook to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schecter

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA using Chinook for bittering and centennial/cascade at 5 and 0min. I plan to dryhop for 5 days in keg, using 1oz Cascade and 1oz Centennial. I haven't dryhopped with Chinook before, so I'm looking for some input. I do have another ounce of Chinook available for dryhop, but I do not want it to cover the other C's. Any idea how well they would play in a dryhop, all 1oz?

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys and girls.

I brewed an IPA using Chinook for bittering and centennial/cascade at 5 and 0min. I plan to dryhop for 5 days in keg, using 1oz Cascade and 1oz Centennial. I haven't dryhopped with Chinook before, so I'm looking for some input. I do have another ounce of Chinook available for dryhop, but I do not want it to cover the other C's. Any idea how well they would play in a dryhop, all 1oz?

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys and girls.

do it!

Its worth a try, but my question is why would you use a hop for dry hopping that you didnt use in the flavoring portion of the boil? I agree with dry hopping with the centennial and cascade but the chinook seems like it could be a waste of good hops. But who knows, I very well could be wrong, its just my .02.

Also, the only other reason I would steer clear of chinook in the dry hop is just because its more of a bittering hop (AA ~12%) so it doesnt really make sense as a flavor/dry hop. But it doesnt mean it hasnt been done before.

It very well could end up being delicious so it might be worth a try, if it were me and I was itching to dry hop more, I would probably skip the chinook and just put more cascade in. Thats just me though :)

Chinook is one of my favorite hops for bittering, flavor and dh. I'd do it.

I just did a Chinook IPA that I then dry hopped with more Chinook. I do think it might overpower the other C's with it's piney deliciousness. That being said, Chinook is my favorite hop I've worked with so far and I think it's fantastic. I'd go for it.

I just did a Chinook IPA that I then dry hopped with more Chinook. I do think it might overpower the other C's with it's piney deliciousness. That being said, Chinook is my favorite hop I've worked with so far and I think it's fantastic. I'd go for it.

Even over simcoe?

Chinook is currently my favorite hop, its the deep dark forest that just shines in high abv ipas, just so dank / earthy / piney / resin.

Its worth a try, but my question is why would you use a hop for dry hopping that you didnt use in the flavoring portion of the boil? I agree with dry hopping with the centennial and cascade but the chinook seems like it could be a waste of good hops. But who knows, I very well could be wrong, its just my .02.

Also, the only other reason I would steer clear of chinook in the dry hop is just because its more of a bittering hop (AA ~12%) so it doesnt really make sense as a flavor/dry hop. But it doesnt mean it hasnt been done before.

It very well could end up being delicious so it might be worth a try, if it were me and I was itching to dry hop more, I would probably skip the chinook and just put more cascade in. Thats just me though :)

I used it for bittering and not at 5 or 0 because I wanted a good bitterness without an overpowering flavor from just Chinook. My schedule may seem odd but it was as follows:

5.25gal

1oz Cascade FWH
1oz Chinook 60min

0.5oz Centennial 15min
0.5oz Cascade 15min

1.5oz Centennial 5min
1.5oz Cascade 5min

1oz Centennial steeped @180F 30min
1oz Cascade steeped @180F 30min

Obviously I'm playing around with timings, adding a 15min addition from a critique of my previous IPA. I love the piney character that Chinook contributes but I didn't want a lot more bitterness, so I decided to exclude it from a late addition and only consider it for dryhop.

Still on the fence, I could always go without it this round and then add it for my next go. Which, gives more reason to brew again...

I used it for bittering and not at 5 or 0 because I wanted a good bitterness without an overpowering flavor from just Chinook. My schedule may seem odd but it was as follows:

5.25gal

1oz Cascade FWH
1oz Chinook 60min

0.5oz Centennial 15min
0.5oz Cascade 15min

1.5oz Centennial 5min
1.5oz Cascade 5min

1oz Centennial steeped @180F 30min
1oz Cascade steeped @180F 30min

Obviously I'm playing around with timings, adding a 15min addition from a critique of my previous IPA. I love the piney character that Chinook contributes but I didn't want a lot more bitterness, so I decided to exclude it from a late addition and only consider it for dryhop.

Still on the fence, I could always go without it this round and then add it for my next go. Which, gives more reason to brew again...

Hey, Im all about the pine. So it might be worth a shot to get that flavor out of chinook. Im planning on trying a simcoe smash for that piney resiny flavor, amybe after Ill try a chinook smash. But I do agree, any excuse to brew more :mug:

Chinook is a great flavor, aroma, and dry hop. Great with other C hops. Piney and citrus/dank to me. It could overpower the Centennial and Cascade aroma, though, if you want to feature them.

I agree it could really be in your face since you used it for bittering.... 1oz is a lot of chinook. Although, it could turn out to be very multi-layered with the cascade as a fwh. Go for it!

Go for it.

Up tomorrow is an IPA with 16 ozs, roughly split equally between Bravo, Centennial, and Chinook. Planning on dry hopping with a mix of Bravo and Chinook.

Go for it.

Up tomorrow is an IPA with 16 ozs, roughly split equally between Bravo, Centennial, and Chinook. Planning on dry hopping with a mix of Bravo and Chinook.

Send a sample to Hudson...sounds bitter and delicious

Do it. I have tons of really great homegrown chinook. It is great for dry hopping. I've used it in a great ipa an arrogant bastard-like beer and a pale ale. Dry hopped them all with chinook. People use dry hops different from the flavor hops all the time. Chinook can dominate if used a flavor hop late, but it blends in well in the dry hop.

Glenn tinsith said he loves Chinook for finish. Maybe dh? I don't remember...

One of my favorite pale ales (borderline IPA range) was bittered with chinook, mid boil additions with cascade, late hops and hop stand mix cascade chinook and then dry hopped 1 oz each cascade and chinook. Was delicious. Blended great together.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I just dryhopped it today with an ounce of all three. I racked to my keg to dryhop, and my fermenter smelled very off...not bad necesarily, but not what I was expecting at all...I smelled it twenty times and couldn't get over what it smelled like...all I could smell was...strawberry jelly...I swear on my life, it was that exact smell...who knows? Sample tasted fine, definitely lacking the aroma I aim to achieve with this dryhop.

Haha! No to both. Probably just funk from fermentation and loads of hops. I'm not sure if it's beer relevant but I did read diacetyl is used in artificial strawberry flavoring...hmm...

Latest posts

Back