Activator Pouch Yeast!!! PROBLEM HELP!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahdrummin

Reaction score
Hey all... I have another problem... i wanted to brew a batch tonight but something came up where i cannot do the brewing till tomm night... my problem is that i started the activator yeast pouch about an hour ago... is this yeast gonna be crapola cause i cannot use it till tomm evening? or what are your suggestions?

should i put it back in the fridge to keep er cool.. or just leave it at room temp for the next 24 hrs?

jahdrummin said:
should i put it back in the fridge to keep er cool.. or just leave it at room temp for the next 24 hrs?
Just leave it at room temp, 1 extra day will not hurt it at all. I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago. I was used to use the old style which suggested a day for every month of age on the yeast. The activator swelled up like a ballon by the next day and was fermenting the beer in about 6 hours.

Your brewing tomorrow with liquid yeast? Sounds like the perfect time to smack the pack and make a starter.
They won't be much harm in putting it in the fridge until tomorrow but you will get best results from a starter.
Craig

If I'm brewing Sunday afternoon, I 'smack' my yeast on Saturday night.

The instructions that come with AHB kits say the longer you wait after smacking it (up to 24 hrs.) the faster the fermentation will take off.

Is there any adverse affects to the yeast if it's been smacked and ready to go for more than 24hrs? I cracked it this morning (11 am) and now i'm thinking I might not brew until tommorow afternoon...

I was actually wondering what would happen if it was left for more than 24 hours time but I suppose my question was answered. Thank you for the reply! Any question answered will leave me with good reassurance.

Well, what exactly is a starter, and how do you make one? I've made a batch of beer before but my buddy pretty much did most of it... this is my first solo batch.

nm, Found a guide on making starters on Google. Looks complicated... anyway i'm going to start the batch now so the yeasties will be put to use safely.

Kimsta said:
I was actually wondering what would happen if it was left for more than 24 hours time but I suppose my question was answered. Thank you for the reply! Any question answered will leave me with good reassurance.
Don't worry. I've smacked prematurely without problems. We're talking like a day plus here. You'll be fine. In fact, it took off like a rocket.

Kimsta said:
nm, Found a guide on making starters on Google. Looks complicated... anyway i'm going to start the batch now so the yeasties will be put to use safely.
Some directions may look complicated but it does not need to be.

Simply bring 1 or 2 quarts of water to a boil(I usually do 2)
Add 1/2c DME per quart to the water and mix well.
Bring the wort back to boiling and boil for at least 10 min.
Cool the wort in a sink full of cold water.
Pour it into a sanitized container about twice the size of the starter.
Aerate well by shaking.
Pitch your yeast and cover with sanitized tin foil (or an air lock)

24-48 hours later
Pitch the starter in your cooled wort to make beer.

Takes about 30min and not much effort.

Craig

Back