Ack! Basic efficiency help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goondog

Reaction score
ok ive been at BIAB for a bit over a year and have done about 10 batches or so I usually hit gravities but havent looked into eff calcs. I use beersmith to get my strike vol and measurements but dont get all the eff calculations in the prgram.
my beers taste great and have been enjoying the process so here goes:

I double crush grains and do a 60min mash with good temp control in a 15G kettle. no sparge just pull and squeeze ALOT.

My recent recipe recently was a smash mosaic yellow rose

15# german pilsner malt
mosaic hops at 60, 20, 10 and flameout

my strike volume was 9.4gallons as i have a high boiloff rate and try to get about 6g in the fermenter. I usually end up with about 1 g trub at base of my fermenter due to a fine crush.
I pulled and squeezed the bag forever and got 9Gallons atnd preboil grav was 1.052

boiled all down my OG was 1.064 with 5.5 into fermenter with my regular 1g of trub included. i had about .5 gall of kettle loss and noticed my hop bag was carrying a lot of wort when i was cleaning up so my yield will likely be about 4.25-4.5g to package.

per the recipe i hit my OG but it doesnt seem that my eff calc are anywhere close ? like in the 56% range per beersmith ?

can someone help me calc eff or do i just ignore and keep on making beer that seems good to me?thx in advance!

I found this link really helpful when I was trying to get my efficiency nailed down:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency

The calculations you need are in there. I would start by checking your conversion efficiency, and if that's good, you can move on to other parts of your process. Make sure you have accurate volume measurements - after brewing for a few months I figured out the volume markings on my kettle are off by 0.3 gallons, and that was affecting my efficiency calculations quite a bit.

On the other hand, if you're making good beer, you could just enjoy it. I'm pretty detail-oriented, so I wanted to wrap my head around all this stuff, but I made some good beer before I really understood what my various efficiency measurements were telling me.

I'm using the same formulas that braukaisers set forth, just further simplified.

https://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/#EfficiencyEvaluation

Enter your measurements, and it will calculate your conversion, lauter, mash, and brewhouse efficiency automatically.

You will need to get your grain potential however, which can be calculated by setting brewhouse efficiency to 100% in your recipe software of choice.

Then Grain potential = SG * volume / grainWeight, typically it should be 35.5-37 for most recipes.

Yes, that sounds about right based on the losses you described throughout the process.

Back