Acidulated malt mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff_T

Reaction score
The other day I went to our new-ish homebrew store to pickup everything for a Gose this weekend and realized 2 days ago that the whole grain-bill was bagged together. I was caught up talking with someone while my order was being pulled and didn't ever give it a thought but also would have assumed the employee would have known a little better...
Anyway, I was going to make a Gose with acidulated malt instead of kettle souring but the 2lbs of acid malt are mixed in with the other 8.5lbs of wheat and pils.
Should I scrap it and start over, should I mash half the grains for 45min and then dump in the rest for an additional 45min or just all of it for 90min? I'm just concerned about bringing the mash pH down to low for conversion. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Do not throw it away. Mashing half will do nothing as the percentages will remain the same. Just proceed as normal and maybe test for conversion. Check this out. YOu might be ok

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/30/wa...he-impact-of-low-mash-ph-exbeeriment-results/

Thanks for the link. This def give me a little more hope than I had for this batch. Any idea on how much impact 2lbs of acid malt would have on the pH? I'm assuming in trying to make a "sour" it'll drop below 4.5 but how much?

Latest posts

Back