Accidentally doubled cane sugar - Severity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 164322

Reaction score
After a couple dozen false alarms and Papazian-ing, I finally arrived at my first legitimate screw-up. I brew in 3gal batches and I forgot to halve my cane sugar amount in my first-ever AG Belgian-style Blonde. My yeast is snacking on 1.2 lbs of sugar instead of the 0.6 lbs I was supposed to throw in.

How bad is this? I'm pretty chilled out but I'm just wondering if it'll be way too boozy to drink. Someone also gave me the neat idea of repitching for a tripel, but is my yeast still good enough for the job?

What was the overall grain/extract bill (e.g. recipe)? Generally as long as it's below 20ish% of the grain bill you probably won't be able to notice any cidery flavors that might occur. However, the beer will probably be significantly drier than is should be which isn't necessarily a bad thing in a blonde ale.

Repitching for a Tripel meaning that you would add more ingredients in? I wouldn't mess with it really and just see how it turns out. Sometimes the yeast can poop out early when there is too high percentage of simple sugars since they will consume those first and can get too lazy to consume the more complex malt sugars. If you had a proper pitching rate you are probably fine though.

Thanks for the reply! I just crunched it out and found it right at 20% of the grain bill. Going by what you say, I guess it'll still be drinkable but different from what I was aiming for.

I think I will attempt making the same recipe properly and compare the two as a fun learning experience.

Back