Accidentally bought two different yeasts (WY 2308 & 2278)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoon

Reaction score
Ugh! I thought I purchased two packages of Wyeast 2308 (German Lager) for the Oktoberfest I'm brewing tomorrow, but one pack is actually the Czech Pilsner yeast (2278). Was just about to make the starter when I noticed this. Ironically, both yeasts are very similar and both for the same kind of beers. Here are my options:

1) Run down to the LHBS and see if I can get another 2308 (or 2278) and return the odd one of the set (maybe they'll take it.) Unfortunately requires a 20 mile drive.

2) Pick one of the two, make a big yeast starter. Using Beer Smith, it shows even with the magnetic stir plate my yeast count will be way too low.

3) Try mixing the two. They seem to be very similar strains. Is there any chance they might somehow work together, or am I kidding myself?

Make a big starter. How big will your batch be? What OG? and when are you brewing?

5 gallon batch. Oktoberfest. OG of 1.057.

Was planning on a 3 liter starter with two packets (which may still be under-pitching--at least according to beer smith.)

Using Mr. Malty instead, it notes I ought to be able to get away with 1 packet if I do 4 liters of starter.

PurpleJeepXJ said:
That is over a gallon of starter. It will make your beer taste like crap I think.

It's a good amount if you're doing a lager. If he's pitching cold then a large starter is necessary to get it going quickly.

And for the record, over pitching reduces ester and phenol production. That's how you get clean tasting lagers.

To the OP, I'd say stick with just the oktoberfest strain and make a four liter starter as mr malty says

It's a good amount if you're doing a lager. If he's pitching cold then a large starter is necessary to get it going quickly.

And for the record, over pitching reduces ester and phenol production. That's how you get clean tasting lagers.

What about diluting the beer? Unless you make an exact mini batch of wort which would be a pain a day before brewing wouldn't it change the taste? To be honest I don't have much experience with lagers... can you decant lager yeast just like ale yeast?

I made another lager (a bock) the day before and had real problems decanting the starter. Ultimately I ended up adding most of it (probably about 2 liters) which I'm not happy about. Gonna try to chill this one down early and be more aggressive decanting it.

I just spoke with my LHBS and they suggested just using the two strains. They are ultimately two very close pilsner yeasts. *sighs* This hobby is about learning, right?

I'd be excited about this situation! Of course you blend them! Then you can make another batch and split it between the two to see how much impact the blending really had.

What about diluting the beer? Unless you make an exact mini batch of wort which would be a pain a day before brewing wouldn't it change the taste? To be honest I don't have much experience with lagers... can you decant lager yeast just like ale yeast?

Yes it decants very well.

That's why you throw it in the fridge to let it cold-crash for 12-24 hours. That way you have a nice, dense cake of yeast on the bottom and you decant the liquid on top. At most you're going to add a pint of starter "beer."

Yes it decants very well.

That's why you throw it in the fridge to let it cold-crash for 12-24 hours. That way you have a nice, dense cake of yeast on the bottom and you decant the liquid on top. At most you're going to add a pint of starter "beer."

That is exactly what I was wondering about because a gal of starter would change the taste but if it is decanted it is only yeast for the most part and therefore would impart less change in flavour. Thanks, and sorry If I thread jacked.

The one thing I noticed was the 2278 prefers a somewhat higher temperature (upper 50's). I was planning on fermenting in the upper 40's, but I'm going to compromise with low 50's. Glad I at least read up on the strains.

Wyeast 2308
Wyeast 2278

Low 50's sounds good. Just don't forget to do a diacetyl-rest in the mid-60's once your beer is about 2/3 fully attenuated.

Didn't let it cold crash for long enough.

Ah, yeah. With most things in brewing, waiting for them to flocculate can take patience :D

Back