Accidental lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickdisalvo

Reaction score
I know, the title's a misnomer- anyhow, here's my problem:
I set off making a double IPA which happens to only be my 3rd shot at brewing. Using a True Brew kit, I followed all of the instructions but failed to realize that I'd be out of town for a week when it would need bottled. The ingredients state that it would need bottled one week after dry hopping it and I got to it exactly one week late. I was relieved to see that bubbles were still emerging from the airlock about once every 45 seconds or so, but could the late bottling have affected the beer in any way?

did you take a hydrometer reading before you bottled? bottling two weeks after dry hopping isn't an issue.

hydrometer reading????

If the airlock was still actively bubbling I'd be concerned about exploding bottles. Air lock isn't a good indicator, but if active fermentation was still going on you might have reason to be concerned. Personally, I'd probably just stick the bottles in a rubber maid tote to contain the mess(and flying glass) just in case. You'll probably be fine, but without a hydro reading I recommend caution.

before adding dry hops, you should be sure that the fermentation is done. then add dry hops for the amount of time (1 to 2 weeks is pretty common)

You should be fine. It looks like you let it ferment for 3 weeks before bottling. I'm assuming the instructions said ferment in primary for 5-7 days, then dry hop for 7 days. If you then let it dry hop for an additional 7 days, it's pretty likely fermentation is complete unless this was a particularly high gravity beer, or your fermentation temps were really low.

Latest posts

Back