Acceptable stout thru a standard faucet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff

Reaction score
Greetings, All;

I searched awhile to see if my question has already been asked & answered, and while I learned a fair amount from this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/stout-faucet-do-i-understand-183113/
nobody actually posed my headscratcher du jour:

I have a Beamish clone coming up soon, and I suddenly clued-in while browsing the dispensory masterpieces on the Show Us Your Kegerator discussion that those skinny-ass faucets are stout faucets (um, yeah, I'm a little slow on the up-take sometimes)...!

Yikes, suddenly I fear that I will be doing a disservice to my stout by trying to pour it from a standard (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/chrome-faucet-with-brass-lever.html) faucet. I don't really have the coin at the moment to invest in a proper stout tap and separate nitro system, nor the space in my kegger for another gas tank anyhoo...so just how much damage will I do to my lovely Beamish without it? Will I get any degree of the creaminess or golden cascade? I have stout-loving friends who are impatiently awaiting its debut, and I sure don't want it to disappoint, but perhaps there were some nuances to stoutification that I didn't know going in...

Crossing fingers, toes and eyes you'll have words of consolation for me!

Cheers,
Geoff

No, you won't get the cascade effect from a regular faucet. You'll still get decent beer. Save up for a stout setup if you're going to brew a bunch of them. If you've only got one or two faucets, I wouldn't worry about it.

B

Yea you won't get the cascade effect or the thick creamy head, but the taste will still be there. If you have a regular faucet, carbonate to normal volume and dispense. If you ever get a Stout faucet and nitrogen/CO2 mix tank, carbonate to 1.2-1.5 volumes.

I've found that only opening the faucet halfway for the first ~1/2 of the pour will cause some turbulence and get a little of the creaminess and head. I rarely brew stouts, so I'm in no hurry to dedicate one of my 4 faucets to them. Not as nice as a creamer faucet, but better than nothing. If you're going to be brewing stouts regularly, get a creamer faucet for sure.

Yeah, I've only got a twin-faucet rig, so I'm unlikely to permanently dedicate one of them to the stout cause. Juan, thanks for the 1/2-way open trick...I'll try it.

In case I ever see a great deal on a "creamer" faucet, is there any point in swapping that out pro tem without the nitrogen?

I'd say that's a definite no. I have one setup like that now (waiting to pick up a nitro tank, and brew a stout) and it drips, doesn't pour the best, ect. Crappy as a regular faucet.

You could get a Perlick Creamer faucet (575) and have a regular faucet with 'creamer' action on it. I don't have one, so you might do a bit of research to see if it's the same effect as just barely opening the faucet.

B

Latest posts

Back